initiate migration to AOL Mail?
johnnyzero
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to this help page:

Starting February 2017, Verizon will no longer provide verizon.net email service. Instead they will focus on providing their internet, TV and phone customers the best experience possible. Verizon has teamed up with AOL to provide verizon.net email customers with AOL Mail, an enhanced email experience.

Further, it states that:

When it is time for you to move your verizon.net mail to AOL Mail, you will be notified by an email from Verizon and messaging on webmail.verizon.com.

Prior to last week, the page listed the anticipated rollout date as "February 15. 2017", but now it's been changed to "February 2017".

Is there an way that I can manually initiate the migration to AOL Mail? I'd like to utilize AOL Mail's IMAP support for this account, and I'm kinda getting tired of waiting.

1 Solution
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Email Retirement

Frequently asked questions

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/email/migrations.htm?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_DO_N_X00425

We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Try any other email provider” to complete the setup.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

403 Replies
jtownjohn
Enthusiast - Level 1

My question about the migration is to which part of AOL are verizon.net accounts being migrated?  From what I have read there are two types of accounts, free ones and paid ones.  Reading on line reviews, the free accounts have considerable problems with security and accounts being frozen.  Does anyone know which category verizon.net  is being assigned?

Disappointed with the amount of explanation and assistance with a chane of this magnitude.  Also disappointed with the autocorrect features of this blog.

0 Likes
pjw102152

Have attempted multiple times to communicate questions concerning the transition from Verizon to AOL email service on the "Contact Us" link under services with no response. Have read an article in my local paper & saw a clip on the local news. When is this happening & what do I need to do to keep my verizon.net email addresses? Reading through some of the comments in this forum only makes me more confused.

0 Likes
rpfix
Enthusiast - Level 2

James_Marshall,

Those links don't work for me. The first 2 send me to my email, with no redirection, the 3rd is not what I want.

I need instructions for staying with my POP3 program, Mozilla Thunderbird, and my 3 existing Verizon addresses. If it's such a mess for me, who understands what's going on, imagine what's going to happen to millions of subscribers who aren't as savvy. I think Vz mail is doomed for us all. Vz should have done this themselves, not asked all of us to do it. I followed another link, but it took me only to the FAQ page.

I've already fried registering at AOL/AIM.  They say my email already exists, but they won't accept either my old PW or a new one.

0 Likes
rummi71

I switched my email to AOL and now when I try to sign in it says my email it says my username is not correct. When I try to sign in with verizon it tells me to go to AOL.  So frustrated and can't check my email!!

0 Likes
pwcrickman

I am NOT redirected to a page about the AOL migration when I login.  I am directed to my regular email account page.  I see no links for migrating to AOL or another provider.  It has been over a week since the Email Service Notice first appeared and no redirection has occurred since then.

Peter

0 Likes
aus4tmg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon email to AOL email - Strike 1.  Comcast is looking better!  Keep charging me moe & that will be strikes 2 & 3!!  Did anyone at Verizon ever think about why we were with Verizon email & not AOL to begin with?!?!?!?

0 Likes
jgj4

I got the message to migrate 2 weeks ago, and while I was researching to be sure it wasn't a scam the message with the 2 options disappeared. Couldn't Verizon have given a heads-up to customers that the choice was coming before forcing to choose on the spot?!!

I've spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech support-- they either know nothing about it or tell me I will receive 2 more notices before being cut off, but the deadline is only 9 days away.  Does anyone have a URL or hotlink to the page with the 2 options so I won't lose my account? 

0 Likes
BSlaydon1218

I have not gotten and email telling me about the switch. My parents have and we live in the same city. Not sure if it was accidently deleated by me or not. How can I check to see if I received one or not?

0 Likes
COMET65
Enthusiast - Level 3

I find that the AOL E-mail system is better than the Verizon. The spam filter works. It is easier to access. I am pleased they did this. 

0 Likes
johnwg
Enthusiast - Level 2

how and where do I find out if and when I change to AOL?

0 Likes
fed1040ez
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did not received any notice for moving Verizon.net mailbox to AOL mail. When is it suppose to happen, read a lot of news and forum talked about this. when is the actural moving date starting.

0 Likes
fed1040ez
Enthusiast - Level 2

agree, no email notice as they were suppose to be sending, read a lot on newspapers and blogs talking about it but not from Verizon directly to their customers.

nowaday, email service relate to personal life and work and bussiness environment, cannot just briefly brush over, keep customers inform on every move, just prompt alert or notice on the dash board, to let us know the process.

Read the retiring the mail service and planning to move customers' mailbox to AOL mail on USA Today,  but not from the provider - Verizon.

0 Likes
Willyd4

I received an email on March 15, 2017 from Verizon telling me that as of April 21 they will no longer support Verizon.net email service. Is this real?

0 Likes
THRTRBF

Yes. it is. Be sure to follow the directions. I received a blurb informing me of the changes and before I could do anything it disappeared. Now I can't find anyone with Verizon that help me.

0 Likes
weincsw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got my notice today: 27 Mar 2017.  Gave me 30 days to complete.  No real problems.  I have two email accounts.  Be sure to enter a NEW password when requested.  Had to only enter the new password on my five devices to get AOL email working on them.  I use MS Outlook as my Email interface on my two computers, iPad, and two iPhones.  Outlook requested the new password.  iPad and iPhones sent me to Settings to enter new password.  Be sure to update password on Incoming and Outgouing Servers.  Don't worry about those odd alpha-numeric email addresses they assigned when you originally set up your email accounts.  You probably got the notice addressed to them.  When you go to the AOL sign-on page they have both your common email address and the odd alpha-numeric ones.

0 Likes
cruiserad
Enthusiast - Level 1

why is verizon thowing my business over to AOL? Will I receive a reduction in m monthly billing?

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

@rpfix wrote:

James_Marshall,

Those links don't work for me. The first 2 send me to my email, with no redirection, the 3rd is not what I want.

I need instructions for staying with my POP3 program, Mozilla Thunderbird, and my 3 existing Verizon addresses.

rpfix,

I needed to pull out an old laptop that had my verizon.net account in Thunderbird this morning, so I tried seting it up.  I've got an old version (17.0.2).

I went to Tools|Options|Security|Passwords Tab and clicked Saved Passwords.  I Clicked Remove All (After taking a screen shot!).

Then went to Tools|Account Settings and set up the account again.  As I recall, it took only a few steps, with Thunderbird doing most of the works.  I had to type in my name, e-mail address and a password and it did all the rest.   Maybe I was just lucky, but it went smoothly and I'm now using it through mailbox://pop/verizon.net and smtp://smtp.verizon.net.

As to the links I posted, I'm sorry they don't work for you.  In my wife's account - which hasn't been migrated yet - if I log in to netmail.verizon.net under her account, it takes me to a page with an Email Service Notice, a brief explanation of the options and the process and links to either "keep my verizon.net address" which takes me to the pages where you enter your information for AOL or another link that takes me to a page that lets me select other providers, export contacts, etc.

I hope some of this helps . . .

j_m

0 Likes
granpattie

So is this being done in groups?  I hadn't heard anything about it and a friend of mine has been notified.  I don't want to miss my opportunity for them to move my acct.

Thanks.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cruiserad wrote:

why is verizon thowing my business over to AOL? Will I receive a reduction in m monthly billing?

AOL is a Verizon Company.

And you never were specifically paying for Email.  It was a free to customer offering.  And for AOL it is a free for everyone service.

0 Likes
JUNEBUG19607

Good luck. I chose migrate to AOL and keep my verizon email name. Although I can signin AOL online and send and receive my email, the Mail application on my iMac and iPads do not accept either the "old" password nor the "new" password. I have spent hours on the phone sharing my screen with first the Verizon tech, then the Apple tech to then be referred to AOL. When I accessed the AOL page they referred me BACK TO VERIZON. Verizon then, transferred me back to AOL tech. The AOL tech then informed me that inorder to get AOL tech support I would need to get a paid subscription to AOL because the AOL account offered for the migration does NOT INCLUDE tech support. 

0 Likes
Debit

Has anyone been succesfull in getting to their email account, using an IPAD or IMAC , after migrating to AOL?. I don't want to attempt the migration until I have some level of comfort. Junebug, apparently has had issues.

0 Likes