Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3G Slow - Salt Lake City
JAKE1138

I am having problems with slow 3G network speed in many areas in and around Salt Lake City, Utah.  Most areas I test get 100-400k downloads.  Only in some areas I can get higher.  I have already replaced my phone (Droid Incredible) three times, as per Verizon Support.  The next step was to open a trouble ticket to have them investigate problem areas.  So I gave them a couple addresses where it's always bad.  Thing is though, it's not just a couple areas, it's almost everywhere.  I cannot travel on any route around the city and still do video streaming, even with HQ turned off.

So while I wait to hear back from Verizon, I wonder if anyone else in the Salt Lake City area has experienced the same problem.  As it is, I don't feel that Verizon is providing the data service I should be getting for my thirty dollars a month.  I am under contract for another 18 months still.  If this problem isn't resolved, what recourse do I have?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 3G Slow - Salt Lake City
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi JAKE1138,

I understand your concern with your speeds at the locations listed in your posting. Keep in mind that typical operating conditions and radio interference, including interference from Wi-Fi networks, network capacity, and cordless telephones and microwaves, may significantly diminish speeds. Time of day can also play a factor. For example, if you are in a traffic jam on a Friday afternoon, your download speeds will most likely be slower than the same area at a different time of day, as well as a different day of the week. 

Additionally, please ensure that there are no applications running in the background that may be utilizing the connection. Some applications (e.g. Windows Updates, Antivirus Updates, File Sharing applications, etc.) can consume a significant amount of bandwidth and decrease the connection throughput.

Utilize the following speed test sites to determine the current speed of the connection:

For information regarding Verizon Wireless domestic service data connection speeds, please refer to Mobile Broadband Coverage and Speeds.

If you are having signal issues with voice/data no matter what time of day or what day it is, we would like to look into this further for you.  Feel free to send me a PM with your name and contact information. I will be happy to contact you personally.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks for posting. In order to resolve your issue can you please PM me your mobile telephone number so I can research your account and get you an answer? Thanks.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

JAKE1138 wrote:

I am having problems with slow 3G network speed in many areas in and around Salt Lake City, Utah.  Most areas I test get 100-400k downloads.  Only in some areas I can get higher.  I have already replaced my phone (Droid Incredible) three times, as per Verizon Support.  The next step was to open a trouble ticket to have them investigate problem areas.  So I gave them a couple addresses where it's always bad.  Thing is though, it's not just a couple areas, it's almost everywhere.  I cannot travel on any route around the city and still do video streaming, even with HQ turned off.

So while I wait to hear back from Verizon, I wonder if anyone else in the Salt Lake City area has experienced the same problem.  As it is, I don't feel that Verizon is providing the data service I should be getting for my thirty dollars a month.  I am under contract for another 18 months still.  If this problem isn't resolved, what recourse do I have?

What are some routes/areas that you consistently experience these issues? I have opened multiple trouble tickets for the downtown area (City Libarary, Grand America Hotel, Courthouse area) with no resolution. Speeds in this area of downtown generally average 50-300k during the day, which is becoming rather frustrating.

Except for these areas of downtown, I generally have exceptional data speeds across the valley.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

Some specific spots that give me only 100-400k download speeds:

The Leprechaun Inn

4700 S 900 E

In and Out Burger (the Valley Fair Mall area)

3715 S CONSTITUTION BLVD

On the route between these two locations (one is near my work, other is near my home), I cannot stream YouTube videos, not even in non-HQ.  In fact, I have never been able to successfully stream any videos while traveling around Salt Lake City.

If it is helpful, I will start to keep track of other specific locations where downloading is slow.  I would say that at least half the locations I go to, I am unable to stream video.  I spoke with a co-worker who also has Verizon and he has the same problem.  He has a Droid X.  He has given up on trying to stream videos over 3G.  He only does it over Wi-Fi.

What I have figured out so far is that it seems to be relative to how far away I am from a cell tower.  If I have a weak signal (around -95 dBm), I tend to get slow download speeds (100-400k).  If I have a strong signal (around -75 dBm), I tend to get high download speeds.  Several locations where I got 2Mbps or faster, I was right near a visable cell tower.  As I drove away from that tower and stopped and tested, my downloads got slower the farther away I got.  I'm not sure what that means.  I wouldn't expect you to have to be right next to a cell tower to get good speeds.

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

The area right at the Leprechaun and south of there is **bleep**ty in part because of the idiotic placement of the VZW cell site on the building at 4500 S and 900 E. The south facing panels are mounted on the north side of the building so the signal drops off drastically while driving south.

I haven't been to Valley Fair in a while but the signal there should be good so I wonder if that's a capacity issue. As far as Streaming while driving is concerned, I don't usually experience any issues with that although you are right, speeds do drop off with distance to the tower.

There's a bunch of new towers in the works for Salt Lake County - there's a new one that's waiting to be activated at the SportsMall, which is just a few minutes South of the Leprechaun, but probably won't help that immediate area.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

Well that would explain why I get 2 Mbps at my work.  I work right near 4500 S 900 E.  What building has the cell tower?  And how do you know it's a VZW tower?

0 Likes
Andreas601
Novice

JAKE1138 wrote:

Well that would explain why I get 2 Mbps at my work.  I work right near 4500 S 900 E.  What building has the cell tower?  And how do you know it's a VZW tower?

The building is 860 E 4500 S. Reason I know which carrier panels belong to is from field testing and by looking at the panels (call me a nerd, lol). That particular building has at least Sprint and another carrier on it as well. 

0 Likes
JAKE1138x

The registration for this site is ridiculously complicated.  I previously created my JAKE1138 forum ID but apparently it wasn't linked to my Verizon account so it made me create this new one.  Now apparently I can no longer use JAKE1138.  Uggh!  So anyway, if a PM was sent to that account, I can not see it.

0 Likes
JAKE1138

Oh, so if I first login to My Verizon and go here, then I show up as JAKE1138.  What a confusing mess.  So I can't directly log into the forums or else I end up as JAKE1138x.  But when I didn't have that before and refreshed this page, I would get a very confusing page asking me to create a new ID.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi JAKE1138,

I understand your concern with your speeds at the locations listed in your posting. Keep in mind that typical operating conditions and radio interference, including interference from Wi-Fi networks, network capacity, and cordless telephones and microwaves, may significantly diminish speeds. Time of day can also play a factor. For example, if you are in a traffic jam on a Friday afternoon, your download speeds will most likely be slower than the same area at a different time of day, as well as a different day of the week. 

Additionally, please ensure that there are no applications running in the background that may be utilizing the connection. Some applications (e.g. Windows Updates, Antivirus Updates, File Sharing applications, etc.) can consume a significant amount of bandwidth and decrease the connection throughput.

Utilize the following speed test sites to determine the current speed of the connection:

For information regarding Verizon Wireless domestic service data connection speeds, please refer to Mobile Broadband Coverage and Speeds.

If you are having signal issues with voice/data no matter what time of day or what day it is, we would like to look into this further for you.  Feel free to send me a PM with your name and contact information. I will be happy to contact you personally.

Thank you!

0 Likes