Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adding another line that already under contract
crumb

I want to add my wife onto my plan to benefit from the family plan. She already has a contract. Can I just get her onto my plan with shared minutes for an additional 10 bucks and drop her old account and plan or is she bound to the current plan she has?

0 Likes
Re: Adding another line that already under contract
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

crumb wrote:

I want to add my wife onto my plan to benefit from the family plan. She already has a contract. Can I just get her onto my plan with shared minutes for an additional 10 bucks and drop her old account and plan or is she bound to the current plan she has?

You can do this. She would still have to complete the time on her contract before she could get a subsidized phone.

Does she have an unlimited data plan??? That would be my only concern, could she keep it.

Also, either one of you able to get a discount due to where you work???

0 Likes
crumb

She just signed up about 4 months ago. She doesn't have the unlimited data but i do. She is fine with the non smart phone. My company does get a discount. They actually pay for my phone so if I add her they will pay for hers too. They wont mind an extra 10 bucks a month for my wife. I just need to figure out if I can go from unlimited minutes to a limited plan and not rack up overage charges.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert
Wouldn't an Assumption of Liability work for this situation? She would have to give permission for you to assume the responsibility of the line. Then you can bundle it with your line under a family plan. The contract end dates for each line would be different, but you would avoid any ETF charges.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
Yes, an AOL (Assumption of Liability) is exactly what crumb needs to do! Your wife's line would keep the number, plan, and contract terms as they are now. Crumb would request the change to his account to add her line, making his a family plan. His wife would "release" her line to be added to his account.

Since he is the one with the discount, and she has no data plan to "grandfather", there should be no issues at all. If you (@crumb) have unlimited minutes and want to keep them, then her line would be $50; if you do go to a shared "bucket", you will get 10 F&F numbers (assuming you are going to go for one of the larger buckets of minutes) that will be "free" and not counted towards your allowance. Use them wisely, and use your free night and weekend minutes to see if you really need unlimited minutes, or if just a large bucket of shared minutes will suffice.
0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

OP/

Good evening crumb,

The community has made great suggestions (thanks!) on the steps that you can take to perform an Assumption of Liability (AOL) on your wife’s line. You can take over your wife’s line and convert both of the lines into a Family Share Plan. Your wife or the account owner just has to call in, by dialing *611 from their handset, and authorize for you to assume the line. You’ll have 30 days to perform the AOL once it’s been authorize. After 30 days, if the AOL has not been performed than it simply has to be re-authorize. If her line is still under contract her agreement term is dependent upon the term remaining on her existing contract. I trust you’ll find this information helpful. Thanks for Ruling the Air with Verizon Wireless!

0 Likes