Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alaska coverage?
jkraut

My parents live in Palmer, Alaska and are, were, long time Verizon  Wireless customers.  I have been attempting to discover when Verizon  plans to get coverage in the 99645 area. 

Nobody seems to know whom to contact.

The representatives I have contacted have given me useless links and information.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Alaska coverage?
usafatcmike

Good Evening,

Verizon Wireless currently operates their 4G LTE Data Service only in Alaska, to include the Mat-Su area. When I was out at the fair this year, I picked up great signal, 5 bars, while at the fair grounds. Took a drive down Knik-Goosebay Road near Settlers Bay and also maintained 5 bars with 4G LTE.

As I said above, Verizon only offers data services in Alaska at this time. They do stretch pretty far into smaller communities with their 4G partnerships, so when you travel out of larger areas, you will pick it up. The downside, Verizon currently does not have voice services. All voice and messaging services are still transmitted on the ACS network until they can get things going. Last we heard, which was in September, voice/messaging is planned in early 2014; however, we all know things can change.

You can obtain a 907 phone number through verizon, however, you will not be able to receive phone calls from those within the state or on a verizon network. The weird side to that, is that Verizon 907 numbers can call other Verizon 907 numbers. All text messaging services work as well regardless of service. Basically, if you want a 907 number with Verizon right now, you will not be able to receive instate calls unless the individual calling is with Verizon Wireless.

You can also activate new phones up here, assuming they have the ability to connect to the 4G network. This limits the devices capable of activating in Alaska to smartphones basically.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I have been following Verizon's movements very closely here in Alaska. I am in Eagle River and have been noticing a lot of activity at their cell phone tower; so I can only assume voice/messaging will launch very soon.

0 Likes
Gleno

Also,MTA has turned on the 4G service with Verizon in the valley,works great now.

0 Likes
KDAKTLA

Is there any update on the voice services through Verizon, I moved to Alaska last September and I am patiently awaiting being able to change my area code and be issued a 907 prefix and not have to pay Texas state taxes anymore, as there is no taxes in Alaska, so I am paying more each month.   Please update me on this, I am hoping this will be soon I was told early 2014 and hope that remains, I do not want to go back to AT&T but I want a 907 area code and my bill to be lowered. 

0 Likes
usafatcmike

Good Afternoon, 

Verizon Wireless is currently in the works in providing voice service for Alaska and are very close to being operational. Verizon Wireless does have their two main locations in Anchorage. They have their switchboard location across from the University Center and they also have their "Alaska HQ" location at C and Northern Lights. I contacted the local Verizon rep and was informed Voice service is scheduled to launch "summer" of this year. They did not provide an exact month but just the broad "summer" term. 

I have been doing everything I can to find out an exact date but I don't think they quote know. The original estimate time frame I was told last year in September was April of 2014 but I am assuming this was pushed back and that they must have run into some issues somewhere.

As I have stated before, you can currently obtain a 907 phone number but with a catch. You can call, text, surf the net, and activate any 4G phone here in Alaska. The catch though, is no one else can call you until the voice service gets activated, UNLESS, the individual calling you is a Verizon user. Then for whatever reason, the phone call will go through. So in theory, you can obtain a 907 number now to avoid that tax but you'd be losing out on the ability to receive calls from anyone outside the Verizon network, to include land lines. 

To activate a phone in Alaska, just remember to ensure you are on the 4G LTE Network. You may have to call Verizon Customer Service from a land line to push the activation through manually but myself nor my wife had to do so. If you go to their coverage map, you will notice they put the first store on the map which will be located in Tikahtnu Commons next to the FireTap. It will be in the same building as the BTY Dental and the SunSation Tanning.

Here is Verizon's contact information for Alaska:

E-Mail - Alaska@vzw.com

Phone - 907-777-9800

0 Likes