Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
BEWARE if you trying a plan for "14 days"
SteveinPhilly

As I learned today, Verizon's system does not understand 24 hour clocks. If you buy a plan on a Wednesday at 6pm  and cancel the plan two weeks later on Wednesday at noon - you will have had that plan for 13 days and 18 hours. But Verizon sees it as 15 days! I had a big hassle today over this. So I want you all to be aware.

Another suggestion is to sign up for on line MY ACCOUNT before you cancel after your trial. Once you disconnect you can't sign up to see what charges are still in your account. But if you register it before signing - you can verify any charges there might be.

Had I not looked at the printed receipt, I would not have seen the $340 EARLY TERM FEE they planned to charge me. Luckily a manager made sure the ETF went away. They may still get my business if I decide to get a cell phone billable plan one day in the future.

0 Likes
Re: BEWARE if you trying a plan for "14 days"
Not applicable
Most people understand that any part of a day counts as a day. Also, Smartphones carry an ETF of $350. That's not a surprise.
0 Likes
SteveinPhilly

Not the Verizon store employee who, when I stopped in yesterday and told her that  I bought the phone at 6pm two Wendesdays ago. She said "tomorrow is Wednesday and you need to return it by 6pm".

NOR did the two customers who were next to me buying their iPads and Droids. When they heard my situation they thanked me.

So obviously MOST is not all, and I was just alerting those that think on a 24 hour clock - like me. It couldn't help to tell folks and that's why I did.

Better safe than ($340 sorry!)

0 Likes
Squallfyr
Novice
Read your conract. It states your 14 day period starts the day of sale. So if you purchase it on wenesday(Doesnt matter the time.) and return it 2 wenesdays later, thats considered 15 days. If the manager really waived it then you must have threatened him with a fire ant or something ridiculous
0 Likes
Grothka
Novice
I don't think he would have had to threaten the manager Squall, if he was told by one of their reps something then it is just good business to waive the fee based on the time frame. Now I do agree that in most cases the ToS do trump what reps say, I just don't think that this is one of those times... now if the rep had told him that he still had 30 days I would probably start leaning the other direction.
0 Likes
Area51

14 days from 6 on Wednesday is 6 on Thursday 2 weeks later, that is not 15 days but only 14.

0 Likes
Grothka
Novice
Umm... not by my count. 6pm Wednesday to 5:59pm thursday is one day... which would make 6pm friday be the end of the second day, going like that that 1 week would be 6pm wednesday up to 5:59 the following wednesday, the second week of course would follow the same pattern.
0 Likes
Not applicable
If you're going by the clock and counting 24 hour periods as a day, 14 days would be from 6pm Wednesday to 6pm Wednesday, two weeks later. If you're counting any part of a day as a day, as Verizon does, then 14 days would be Wednesday through Tuesday, two weeks later.
0 Likes
SteveinPhilly

The purpose of my post was not to complain. It was there to recommend to folks who might be signing up for the account that they think of the return period as 13 days and then they won't run into the issue. The manager knew that I wasn't trying to get an extra day and that I would consider how it was handled if I was going to come back to Verizon. It made good business sense.

So, if you folks want to dicker over the counting of the dates, go ahead <g>..

My point was simply that : Verison uses CALENDAR days, not 24 hour clock days and If you wish to cancel, do it within THIRTEEN calendar days.

0 Likes
Squallfyr
Novice
...........Why would you think 24 hours and not per day? An apartment manager wouldnt prorate you on a per hour basis, it would be per day of that month? Its just common sense and less stress on anyone's billing system.
0 Likes