Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bahamas roaming plan
TedKord
Novice

My daughter is going on a cruise for spring break, to Nassau and Coco Cay in the Bahamas. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid huge bills if she takes her phone? A friend went to the bahamas on business, and came back with $6000 in roaming charges. His company paid it, but I don't have a company to pay if she incurrs anything, and I just got laid off from my job, so I can't afford any slip ups.

I'd like to hear what folks here say, before I call Verizon, since I've read so many stories here of folks being told one thing by a Verizon rep, then getting told after the fact that ot wasn't true, and they owed huge amounts. Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Bahamas roaming plan
lewisr13
Leader

TedKord wrote:

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid huge bills if she takes her phone?

Take the battery out before she leaves. Learn from your friend.

0 Likes
Re: Bahamas roaming plan
ChaunceyM_VZW
Novice

Hi TedKord. A cruise sounds great considering the weather outside my window! Your daughter will have the option to use her phone on the cruise. The cost will be more than domestic usage because the wireless network is owned by another company. There are a couple things that must completed prior to leaving:

1. Dial *228 and select option 2 from the automated menu

2. Contact Customer Service @ 800-922-0204 to have to "International Dial Allow" feature added to her line.

I would also suggest having her disable her Facebook and/or Twitter accounts prior to leaving. Due to the constant streaming for these social media applications.Data and conversly the corresponding charges can add up quckly when using either Facebook or twitter. Using WiFi is a free option that still allows you to check your email and connect to the web. Plus it's the preferred option when traveling internationally.

I have provided you with a link that will allow you to view the usage rates. Voice, Data and Message rates will be detailed once you select the destination and cruise line. http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/index.html

Have a great day!

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes