Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Best way for a Student going on a Trip to Spain who has verizon to have communication back to the USA
Shutech

So I have a young Student that next summer will be taking a school trip to Spain.

Starting to thinking ahead on keeping communications with them.

Right now I have a Friends and Family with my phone Unlimited Data.

Their Phone is Basic with no Data. I have no reason to change to the new plan. I will not pay more for less.

I am trying to figure out the best thing to do for them.

Whether rent a phone for overseas.

for the 2 weeks they are there change them over to one of my Spare Androids with GSM and  and put a smartphone Data plan on that number for a month then change them back after they come home.

I am looking to see the pros and cons of doing this and weigh my costs.

If I give them an international capable smartphone for the month what would overseas charges be for Data and Voice? Can you get an international package for the time they are over there or would it be a "roaming" pay as you go type deal with expensive charges for roaming international?

Or second is do I just let them use public wifi on a smartphone that is international capable with them knowing that they are to use Data and voice only in an emergency? or just leave them with their Ipad and wifi?

Thank You

Michael

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Best way for a Student going on a Trip to Spain who has verizon to have communication back to the USA
B33
Sr. Leader

I'd say the Best thing to do is Call customer Service or Visit a Local Store and have them Go over with you plans and services for those Countries using a Verizon phone.. Here is some info i found see if i can find some more..

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/internationalDialing.jsp

Global Services: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Best way for a Student going on a Trip to Spain who has verizon to have communication back to the USA
B33
Sr. Leader

I'd say the Best thing to do is Call customer Service or Visit a Local Store and have them Go over with you plans and services for those Countries using a Verizon phone.. Here is some info i found see if i can find some more..

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/internationalDialing.jsp

Global Services: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Shutech

Thank You,

I missed the word global under support I skimmed for International.

It looks like the Second link will be helpful and a good start. The First link has better info if you are in the US calling out or calling from a foreign carrier to US.

Appreciate it.

0 Likes
B33
Sr. Leader

Your Welcome:. Yea i caught that too and that's why I went back and got the Second Link glad that it helped Smiley Happy b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's great to look ahead to the possibilities, Shutech. I love to be prepared! You actually have a fantastic idea to change their line to a global capable phone for the time they're in Spain. You don't need to change the plan for any other lines on the account and can simply add a smartphone with global voice and data capabilities for the few weeks it'll be used in Spain, then reactivate the basic phone and plan when they've returned. Activating devices is easy at http://vz.to/186e0Pr.

Prices for voice and data service while traveling is always updated at www.vzw.com/global. If you chose to add a global capable smartphone, it will need a data plan active since it's a smartphone, but you can chose to have the user turn off mobile data and simply use WiFi to conserve global roaming costs. If you visit www.vzw.com/support and type the model phone along with the words "mobile data" you can find the easy steps how to do this. This would leave the phone's ability to send and receive calls and text messages.

We're here for you if you have any further questions. I hope your student has a fantastic trip!

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Pardon my stepping on your post, B 33

I have found the best calling is free calling, or almost free calling. My wife and I use Magic Jack+ and we use our laptops while traveling both in the USA and Canada, and when we travel to the UK or Spain it is perfect. We hook the doggle into our laptops and its just like you are calling from the US, the call clarity and ease of use is fantastic. You can call back to the USA or to Canada for free and Magic Jack has a free phone app for both android and iOS devices. But not for dumb phones.

On our devices when we are not at home or away the Magic Jack rings to our cell numbers. Her mother liked it so much she went out and bought one. Costs around $40 on sale from Rite Aid Pharmacy if you have one nearby.

Just another idea.

Good Luck

0 Likes
B33
Sr. Leader

It's ok no problem..

0 Likes