Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I use a spare smartphone on a dumbphone plan for call and text only?
southsidemike

My family has 4 smart phones and one regular(dumbphone) on our plan. One of the smartphones, a droid incredible 2, was having problems with the charging port. The local Verizon store said it wasn't covered by insurance (long story) and recommended getting an I-phone 4 since it would be free with a renewed contract so we did. Since then I've fixed the Droid and now the dumphone's on it's last leg. I'm wanting to activate the droid on the dumbphone number without changing the plan, realizing that it would be for talk and text only. Is this an option, or will Verizon make me get an additional data plan to activate this phone? I'd hate to have a good droid sitting in the drawer unused and have to buy a new dumbphone. /any help would be great, Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Can I use a spare smartphone on a dumbphone plan for call and text only?
tikibar1
MVP MVP
MVP

Verizon requires a data plan if you activate a smartphone. You should be able to add a tiered (2 GB for $30) data plan to your current plan, unless it's a really old calling plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you don't really need or want a data plan, you could do this temporarily until you found a replacement basic phone and then drop the data plan.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

I'd sell the Droid on craigslist and buy a good basic phone on ebay or craigslist.

0 Likes