Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canceling lines and Early Termination Fees
trintrin86

My husband and I are on a family share plan, my phone is the "primary" phone on the plan. Next year, do to work, I will need to transfer my number to another service provider. I *must* keep my current phone number, getting a new number is not an option for me.

I plan to call Verizon or visit a store to make a call to make husband's line the primary line. We have been happy with Verizon's service and he wishes to keep his line with them as a single line plan.

Two questions:

1. When I apply for the number transfer, will Verizon automatically cancel the second line and turn his into a single plan?

2 . I'm unclear if my line will incur an early termination fee. I will be out of the 2 year widow on my device. However my husband absolutely refused to get a new phone until his actually stopped working a few months ago. When he got a new device did that lock all the phones on the plan in for another 2 years or just his?

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Canceling lines and Early Termination Fees
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

trintrin86 wrote:

My husband and I are on a family share plan, my phone is the "primary" phone on the plan. Next year, do to work, I will need to transfer my number to another service provider. I *must* keep my current phone number, getting a new number is not an option for me.

Doesn't matter what plan you have whether family or individual.  Each line has their own terms. 

I plan to call Verizon or visit a store to make a call to make husband's line the primary line. We have been happy with Verizon's service and he wishes to keep his line with them as a single line plan.

All you have to do is make that line an individual line, and put a plan there.

Two questions:

1. When I apply for the number transfer, will Verizon automatically cancel the second line and turn his into a single plan?

Yes, and no.  The line won't be canceled as it follow it's own terms, but you have to pick the appropriate individual plan for that line.

2 . I'm unclear if my line will incur an early termination fee. I will be out of the 2 year widow on my device. However my husband absolutely refused to get a new phone until his actually stopped working a few months ago. When he got a new device did that lock all the phones on the plan in for another 2 years or just his?

If your line doesn't have a contract when you do this then you do not have a termination fee.  Only his line would be under contract as he upgraded recently.  

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Canceling lines and Early Termination Fees
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

trintrin86 wrote:

Two questions:

1. When I apply for the number transfer, will Verizon automatically cancel the second line and turn his into a single plan?  Yes as the number will no longer be in their system. But let the new provider do the port. Do not go through VZW

2 . I'm unclear if my line will incur an early termination fee. I will be out of the 2 year widow on my device. However my husband absolutely refused to get a new phone until his actually stopped working a few months ago. When he got a new device did that lock all the phones on the plan in for another 2 years or just his?  If you have fulfilled the 24 months of your contract (can see online the date) then there will not be an ETF. However I would not make his line primary before you switch, it will happen automatically and then he can choose a new plan. I seem to remember seeing some posts after an AOL, the contract is extended for 1 yr.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes