Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cannot make phone call while in Puerto rico
Ianr

We are in Puerto Rico. We can text but cannot make calls. My roaming setting is on "for this trip".  Each time we try to call any other number we get a " redial the 10 digit number" message. We are dialing 1 area code then 7 digit number..and tried just the 10 digits without 1.

We have global calling as a feature..but that shouldn't matter since PR is part of national.

Help!!! We need to use phones!!

0 Likes
Re: Cannot make phone call while in Puerto rico
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Ianr, I'd be just as concerned with not being able to make calls through my phone. Let's do all we can to help out. You've definitely performed some great steps to help ensure your phone is working.

To confirm, what is the make and model of the phone you are using?

Prior to leaving from your home area, do you recall powering off your phone and restarting it to update your Preferred Roaming List, (If it is a 4G phone) or dialing *228 and choosing option 2? (If it is a 3G phone)

NicandroNN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bjrbjr

I am having the same problem with my iphone5 in Isabella area. Getting message to reenter 10 digit number. Doesn't work.

0 Likes
deloused

Is your service prepaid or post paid? Do you have family base features on your line?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

bjrbjr Let’s get you back to enjoying the Puerto Rican sun. I was there this summer and had to disable my Family Base Plan to make calls. This is because you are in an extended network and the local system does not know how to interpret the possible usage restrictions. Is voice and data roaming active on your phone? Does this happen everywhere or just at that location?
JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TimLank

JoelR_VZW and NicandroNN_VZW:

Please get Verizon Wireless to pay their obligations to Open Mobile or at least try to re-establish the contract that presumably once allowed VZW customers to utilize their network.

I can personally vouch for the pain experienced by Ianr and bjrbjr as well as Douglas4 in the following:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1401663#1401663

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1406141#1406141

It also doesn't matter what part of the island you are, VZW phones are denied service.

0 Likes