Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Changing Cell Phone Carriers...Question?
Kathey

I have the Family Share Plan, I have the primary line, I am eligible for an upgrade.  My daughter has a phone and is eligible for an upgrade on 7/10/12, my son has the 3rd line and is also currently eligible for an upgrade.  I'm thinking about trying a different cell phone carrier and can't seem to find out if I will be charged for canceling my Verizon service on all 3 lines.  I can't seem to get any answers, does anyone know how this works?

0 Likes
Re: Changing Cell Phone Carriers...Question?
PJNC284

Upgrade eligibility date isn't the contract end data.  Verizon allows you to upgrade 20 months into the 2 yr contract so you'd still be subject to the ETF on each line that hasn't expired.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Novice

I think you also might have to be careful of when you cancel. Others on here would have to help you out but I believe its best to make sure your at the end of your billing period. I don't think you are refunded the part of your bill which is prepaid.

0 Likes
jacobweber2000

You need to forget the "eligibily for upgrade date" and look at your actual "CONTRACT DATE" which is 24months from when you activated your phones.

If you decide to move another carrier, you can keep your phone number. All you have to do is 1) dont disconnect your service from VZW before you talk to your new carrier that you want to transfer to. 2) you need to make one of your childrens phones the primary account, and make your line an "addon" line or secondary number.  You have to becareful about doing this because you may loose things like unlimited data on that number that is being switched to become the primary line. 3) Have the new carrier do the number transfer. They will automatically notify VZW through the GOVT CLEARINGHOUSE that you are no longer a VZW customer on that one phone number. VZW will then disconnect that line from their billing and will send you a final bill on that line.

Be sure to ask questions from your new carrier about the process.

0 Likes