Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contract Ending Soon - Need Help Leaving Verizon with minimal costs...
richeydog

Hi all. First time poster, long time reader. Here is the deal. My parents, brother and I are on the NATIONWIDE TALK FS 700 PLAN. Three of our contracts end in late August 2011. The other in May of 2012. The exact dates are as follows:

Phone 1 -  08/29/11

Phone 2 -  08/29/11

Phone 3 -  08/31/11

Phone 4 -  05/25/12

We want to stop the service as soon as possible with the LEAST amount of fees. I'm thinking that if we stop the service on September 1st, we would only have to pay the etf for phone 4? 

Since phones 1, 2, and 3 will no longer be under contract, will we receive a credit for canceling in the middle of a billing period?

Please help?!?!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Contract Ending Soon - Need Help Leaving Verizon with minimal costs...
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Terms of service states the billing cycle will complete. I believe this is due to advance billing and it eliminates checks being sent to subscribers for days remaining in the billing cycle.Thats why I stated to cancel close to the end of the billing cycle to get your monies worth out of the month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

richeydog wrote:

Hi all. First time poster, long time reader. Here is the deal. My parents, brother and I are on the NATIONWIDE TALK FS 700 PLAN. Three of our contracts end in late August 2011. The other in May of 2012. The exact dates are as follows:

Phone 1 -  08/29/11

Phone 2 -  08/29/11

Phone 3 -  08/31/11

Phone 4 -  05/25/12

We want to stop the service as soon as possible with the LEAST amount of fees. I'm thinking that if we stop the service on September 1st, we would only have to pay the etf for phone 4? You are correct.But see below

Since phones 1, 2, and 3 will no longer be under contract, will we receive a credit for canceling in the middle of a billing period? When does the billing period end??? Personally I would wait to the end of the billing period after 8/31

Please help?!?!

0 Likes
richeydog

Thanks for responding so quickly. To answer your question, the billing period usually ends on the 20th of each month.

0 Likes
Not applicable
If you truly want to minimize cost, end service on 9/1 and Verizon can apply your refund against your ETF.
0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

if your switching carriers and want to keep the same number

DO NOT CANCEL THE PLAN

go to the new carrier, and port the number

also if you cancel on 9/1 and your billing date is on 8/20

you minutes will be prorated

example: 8/20-9/1 is 12 days, thats @ 271 minutes for you to use in that time frame

anything over it will be extra charges

0 Likes
Grothka
Novice
umm... no. There will be no proration if you disconnect after the contract end as it would bill through the end of the bill cycle. If you disconnect exactly on the contract end date though, it should cancel billing that same day.
0 Likes
richeydog

Thanks for all your comments so far. So we need to port over number(s) to new carrier(s) before cancelling.

Still not sure if our bill will be prorated if we cancel on 9/1/11, 20 days or so before the billing date ends???

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

richeydog wrote:

Thanks for all your comments so far. So we need to port over number(s) to new carrier(s) before cancelling.

Still not sure if our bill will be prorated if we cancel on 9/1/11, 20 days or so before the billing date ends???

Just port, porting will cancel your account automatically.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello richeydog,

I'm sorry to hear you are planning on leaving us.  We definitely don't want to loose you as a customer.  If you don't mind me asking is there a particular reason you are inquiring?  I would like to assist you if you allow me the opportunity.  If you feel more comfortable sharing via PM please feel free to PM me with your name and mobile number so I may further assist.  Thank you.    

0 Likes
richeydog

Hi Mr. TominqueBo_VZW, to simplify, my father no longer needs a phone. He is retired and stays at home due to medical issues. My brother and I are going our separate ways with another carrier(not sure which). My mother, who still works and needs a cell phone, will probably stay with Verizon and change to a single line.

Another question for ya'll. We're slowly making some changes. We called Verizon today(the 31st) and cancelled my fathers phone(his contract ended on 8/29/11). The CSR said that his phone service would continue until the end of the billing cycle, because we already paid it. 

My question is, can we stop my dad's phone service today and get his phone prorated? Any savings we can get would be beneficial.

0 Likes