Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Currently a Verizon customer, learned about $19.95 a month VOIP device wanted to know options with it
gopher

1. Does the VOIP device connect to my 802.11n hidden Apple Airport Base Station with WPA2 password, or is it possible to connect to it wirelessly?

2. Does it require cellular service to be usable in the vicinity, or does it just need an internet connection?

3. If the internet goes down, do calls to it get forwarded to voice mail?

4. Can voice mail and be turned on and off with it?

5. Can you get an MPEG-3 voice mail e-mailed to you with it?

6. Does it have its own ringer, or is the ring still dependent on your land line phone connected to it?

7. If it has a ringer, can it be turned off?

8. Can call waiting be turned off if you have the device?

9. Has anyone had trouble with calling through it and the person on the other end not see your name in the caller-ID?

10. Does it have a call block memory, and if so, how many numbers can it block?

11. I have two cell numbers, and one land line.  It is possible for the land line number to be ported to the VOIP and I discontinue having my land line service and people still be able to call my land line number?  I don't need a third cell phone.

12. If I have that third line go to the VOIP device, can that number then be forwarded somewhere else as part of the service occasionally?

13. How is the voice quality of the device? Is it better than Magicjack, Ooma, and Vonage?

Thank you.

14. Do I need FiOS to have the device, or can I just have a Verizon cellular account with it?

15. Does it support FAXing?

0 Likes
Re: Currently a Verizon customer, learned about $19.95 a month VOIP device wanted to know options with it
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

It would be helpful if you were to specify which VOIP device you are asking about. I don't know of any VOIP device which Verizon Wireless offers.

If you are talking about the Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect, that is not a VOIP device but a cellular device. It also does not have fax capabilities.

If you are talking about the Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice, I don't think that is a VOIP device either. I could be mistaken, though.

If you are talking about a device other than the 2 I have listed, it would be helpful if you could provide a link.

0 Likes
Re: Currently a Verizon customer, learned about $19.95 a month VOIP device wanted to know options with it
gopher

Hi rc,

I think it was the wireless home connect.  Read more about it, and it really does not seem to be what I want.   Any idea how Phone.com compares to Ooma, Vonage, or Magicjack?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I used the Verizon Home Phone Connect prior to changing to the Share Everything plan because I was able to add it to my account for $10/month and share my minute allowance. I find it overpriced at $20/month on the Share Everything plan, and as I have pointed out, it does not have fax capabilities. Other than that, I found the voice quality quite good and did like the service.

I don't know anything about Phone.com. Sorry.

Good luck.

0 Likes