Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Data Plan Requirement for SmartPhones
shynsneeky

It seems today that with all cell phone companies if you buy a cell phone, data plans are required. For most users this is beneficial, but say for instance if I didn't want a data plan. That I choose to access the web via wifi rather than using the wireless network, is there an option to do that?

I'm always connected to some sort of wifi. My car is a wifi hotspot, I have a wifi hotspot device from verizon, and I have wifi at home. I don't feel the need to have to pay for an additional data plan when I'm always connected to wifi. After trying to explain it to several representatives they don't have an answer for me other than it is part of the companies policy. We know the phone will work fine without the data plan, when I'm connected to wifi, so is it right that wireless providers do not give you an option to at least have a pay as you go option for the data plan?

0 Likes
Re: Data Plan Requirement for SmartPhones
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

No, it is not right...... And no, it is not wrong.

It is just the policy they have chosen to use. Just as you are able to make decisions for what you do, Verizon is able to make decisions for what they do.

0 Likes
Re: Data Plan Requirement for SmartPhones
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

VZW, ATT, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular, and all the rest require it.  Is it necessary for the phone to work? No? But is it required? Yes.

The billions needed to have these devices developed and to have a network built to handle the data  that is used (whether by you or not) needs to come from somewhere, requiring data plans helps build and maintain these networks and allow upgrades to like LTE.

If data was not required, we all could very well still be sitting in our cars talking on a bag phone.

As for the Pay As You Go option, it was tried, after many complaining of their $18k bill because they did not know they had to PAY for data

0 Likes