Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Plans needed for Iphone to function??
radioyaz

I was told today by a Verizon service rep that their required $30 a month data plan is needed or an Iphone wouldn't work?

This is completely false. Iphones have WiFi capability and can access any app or iPhone function, other than making a phone call or sending a text message over the Verizon network, using WiFi. They actually said I could not access WiFi without a data plan??? Hello, that is complete BS and false advertising.

I have seen many posts on here of people saying if you don't need a data plan you don't need a smartphone, don't buy one then....bla bla bla. For myself I just wanted the iPhone to use on a wifi network (basically the iPod touch) and to not have to carry a second phone around for calling and texting. The bottom line is Verizon and other Companies are forcing customers to spend a minimum of $360 extra dollars a year for something they may not need and are lying about it take peoples money.

I am sure some enlightened posts will follow, since some else is always smarter..

0 Likes
Re: Data Plans needed for Iphone to function??
igovirginmobile

I think ou are dead on..for example, I live in an area with no coverage so I purchased a internet connected minitower which I use about 80% of the time paying the internet service provider. Verizon still charges me for a data plan I do not need and for calls made through the internet. Something smells in Denmark. Verizon will wring out every penny they can from you. They tried it for example with the now defunct $2 convienience fee.

0 Likes
21stNow

I don't think that data plans should be required just because a customer wants a smartphone.  However, there are two things to note for the other side of this argument. 

1) There are options out there for people who don't want to have a data plan, but want a smartphone, but the demand is low.  Most of the options that I am aware of require that the customer buy their device outright.  However, with ebay and other options, this isn't that big of a deal. 

2) When some people without a data plan rack up data charges unknowingly or unintentionally, they blame the carrier for selling them a device that could rack up $1000 cell phone bills that they can't afford.

This is an example of carriers can't win for losing.  At least one group of consumers will lose either way.

0 Likes
radioyaz

21stNow wrote:

I don't think that data plans should be required just because a customer wants a smartphone.  However, there are two things to note for the other side of this argument. 

1) There are options out there for people who don't want to have a data plan, but want a smartphone, but the demand is low.  Most of the options that I am aware of require that the customer buy their device outright.  However, with ebay and other options, this isn't that big of a deal. 

2) When some people without a data plan rack up data charges unknowingly or unintentionally, they blame the carrier for selling them a device that could rack up $1000 cell phone bills that they can't afford.

This is an example of carriers can't win for losing.  At least one group of consumers will lose either way.

As to part 2)...this to me is yet another scam. An account that doesn't have an actual data plan shouldn't even connect to data network, they purposely let those phone connect so the "unknowing" or "unintentioned" rack up such charges. If I accidentally turn to a channel on my tv that isn't part of my subscription...I don't get to watch it and then get a bill saying "well you watched it", it is blocked because i didn't pay for it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Are you willing to buy the devices outright?  I agree with having a no data plan option, but only if you don't take the discounted price and not sign a 2 year agreement.

0 Likes
21stNow

Using your same example, wasn't there a problem a couple of decades ago where kids were ordering up all the pay-per-view offerings that they wanted, and the parents found out when the bill came?

Some carriers allow users to place data blocks on their lines, so this type of thing wouldn't happen.  However, every consumer isn't aware of this, or some "smartly" say they will block their own data by not using it, then think nothing of handing their 4-year-old nephew their phone to play with.  After little Timmy has racked up data charges, the customer then screams at the carrier.  Then, the customer gets on Facebook and their local news to talk about how evil the carrier is.

I'm not arguing against your points.  However, VZW (nor any other carrier) will not be able to please everybody.  I say that they should please the majority, but what does that mean?  The posts that you see on this forum don't represent the majority of customers' views.

If I walked down the street right now and asked 20 people if they would like to share data the same way that they share minutes on their cell phone plans, I would guess that 10% wouldn't know what data was on a cell phone, 50% would say yes, 20% would say no and 20% would say that they're not sure/it depends.  Just my guess, though.

0 Likes
21stNow

Tidbits, how did you mean your last sentence?  Do you want the people to pay full price and sign a contract or not sign a contract?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

not sign sorry lunch break and I am tired lol.

0 Likes
radioyaz

Tidbits wrote:

Are you willing to buy the devices outright?  I agree with having a no data plan option, but only if you don't take the discounted price and sign a 2 year agreement.

You are buying any phone outright, it's your phone forever. As far as a not getting a discounted price, I figured there would be some incentive to being a customer and having a contract for calling and texting service. I don't want it for free and wouldn't expect that and I've been a customer for over 12 years so a contract isn't the issue. The problem lies in that after the two year data plan they make you sign up for originally expires you can't cancel the data plan it is MANDATORY forever. So if they offered the phone without a data plan for a slightly higher price I would likely buy it and save money in the long run. Verizon however won't let you bring them a factory unlocked phone and use there network...you have to buy it from them. Or at least that is what the service rep told me today?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Avoiding the question. If they gave the option would you do it?

0 Likes