Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Data Share Pricing Question
Abe73

Hi.  I switched to the new Data Share Plan.  I have 8 devices currently on the plan. One of the lines is a 4G smartphone that is still under contract, but is not currently being used anymore.  My question is, if I take the sim card out of that device and put it in a Verizon iPad 3, will I still get charged for that line as smartphone ($40) or a tablet ($10)?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Share Pricing Question
Not applicable

yes you will still get charged the line fee on the phone since it's still under contract. Either pay the ETF to have the phone removed or you'll have to wait until it's out of contract.

0 Likes
ashtontr

Nope, it will be a tablet price, just let customer service know because sometimes it doesn't happen automatically. They may need to switch it to the tablet first.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ashton Roesbery wrote:

Nope, it will be a tablet price, just let customer service know because sometimes it doesn't happen automatically. They may need to switch it to the tablet first.

Sorry dude but you can't just remove a phone on CONTRACT and not incur a ETF.

0 Likes
ashtontr

Yes you can, it's called a Device Id Change, the contract will still be there but the device can change, it will  not affect a contract. I do device Id changes every day. The plan will automatically update with the change to a 10$ line access

0 Likes
dimap52

Right, you sign a contract on a LINE OF SERVICE, not on a PHONE. That is why you can change devices on the line, or plan levels up or down in price, so sure, he can put his SIM on that LINE in any compatible device he wants.  No ETF as long as he doesn't cancel the line prior to term fulfillment.

Not applicable

dimap52 wrote:

Right, you sign a contract on a LINE OF SERVICE, not on a PHONE. That is why you can change devices on the line, or plan levels up or down in price, so sure, he can put his SIM on that LINE in any compatible device he wants.  No ETF as long as he doesn't cancel the line prior to term fulfillment.

I call BS. Ok so I'll upgrade to a Galaxy S III  for $200. So instead of paying $40 a month I'll just switch to a tablet and only pay $10 and I can still use the Galaxy S III for everything but phone calls. Or I can sell it to someone that doesn't want to lose unlimited and make $400 on the deal. Sorry no way Verizon is going to let you walk away from a subsidized phone like that.

0 Likes
21stNow

I can't speak to what happens specifically with VZW's Share Everything plans, but what you described happens all the time. That's where many of the brand new phones from individual sellers come from on ebay.

0 Likes
notarep
Novice

Brian68 wrote:

dimap52 wrote:

I call **. Ok so I'll upgrade to a Galaxy S III  for $200. So instead of paying $40 a month I'll just switch to a tablet and only pay $10 and I can still use the Galaxy S III for everything but phone calls. Or I can sell it to someone that doesn't want to lose unlimited and make $400 on the deal. Sorry no way Verizon is going to let you walk away from a subsidized phone like that.

Nope, you can. Its similar to how you go from a smartphone to a basic phone in the middle of the contract. Its not the device that matters, its just as long as the service for that line is kept active. However, it has to be a TABLET thats on that line, not a phone. A tablet has to be activated on that line to be charged 10 for that line, you cannot just disable all the phone and text features on your sIII and call it a tablet because their systems will see it as a phone and treat it as such.

0 Likes
Not applicable

21stNow wrote:

I can't speak to what happens specifically with VZW's Share Everything plans, but what you described happens all the time. That's where many of the brand new phones from individual sellers come from on ebay.

Yeah with the OLD pricing it didn't matter. I'm on a family plan where my line is $10 a month. If I upgrade my old smartphone to a SIII it's still $10 a month. If I switch back to my old phone and sell the SIII the line charge is still $10 a month. Verizon is getting the same amount of money. Under the share plans if I drop the phone to a tablet my line charge would drop from $40 to $10 a month. Verizon is losing $30 a month or $360 a year. No way they allow that when they subsidized the phone $400.

0 Likes