Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Throttling on unlimited plan (75 GB)
tcha18

I switched carriers from Sprint to Verizon on October of 2019 and purchased a brand new iPhone 11 along with it. My phone plan was originally the "Play More Unlimited" which gives me 25 GB of data before throttling. I went with this plan for the 3 months and service was amazingly fast and I was satisfied. The problem was me using on average of 55 GB per month so I upgraded to the top tier unlimited plan of 75 GB. Over the past 3 months my service has felt like it is being throttled every single day. My location of work has not changed over the course of being with Verizon so I know it is not a tower issue as I've never experienced it before.

My main uses are for work which is in a hospital setting and the others are social media. With social media, the pictures are always pixelated and the videos are always buffering with poor quality. 

I have contacted the verizon support and one agent suggested I switch the SIM card with a new one. So far, this has not solved anything. I don't know what else could be the issue besides Verizon throttling my service. Also, my phone is not damaged - I hate when they push this question on me.

Has anyone else had this issue? I feel like this is Verizons doing. 

Re: Data Throttling on unlimited plan (75 GB)
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

@tcha18 wrote:

I switched carriers from Sprint to Verizon on October of 2019 and purchased a brand new iPhone 11 along with it. My phone plan was originally the "Play More Unlimited" which gives me 25 GB of data before throttling. I went with this plan for the 3 months and service was amazingly fast and I was satisfied. The problem was me using on average of 55 GB per month so I upgraded to the top tier unlimited plan of 75 GB. Over the past 3 months my service has felt like it is being throttled every single day. My location of work has not changed over the course of being with Verizon so I know it is not a tower issue as I've never experienced it before.

Has anything changed in the past 3 months, like say a LOT of people out of work and possibly using a LOT more cellular data since they have nothing else to do?

Having unlimited data does not mean Verizon has unlimited bandwidth. There IS a limit on how much data can be provided by Verizon. When the traffic on Verizon's airwaves increases as much as it has in the past 3 months, a strain is put on the network. While your data may not be re-prioritized or "throttled", that does not mean the speed won't be affected by the amount of traffic on Verizon's network. Your data does not get re-prioritized until after you have used 75 GB of data. That does not mean your data is a higher priority than others whose data has not been re-prioritized, too. It just means your data is put at a higher priority than those who have used all of their priority data. Your 75 GB of data is not put at a higher priority than those who have only 25 GB of priority data. Your data is the same priority and if there are MORE people with priority data using data at the same time you are then the speed of data on the network will likely slow down. Kind of like how traffic on highways slows down during rush hour except with more people using data at ALL hours of the day due to the unusual circumstances we find ourselves in currently, it seems like rush hour all day long.

All those people who used to be driving, making highways slow during rush hour, are now home(or elsewhere) possibly using data making Verizon's network slower. There has been a VAST increase of data going over Verizon's network the past 3 months. It is not unusual that there has been an impact to the speed of the network due to this increase in traffic. In March, 

Before Verizon re-introduced unlimited data, there were those who complained if everyone had unlimited data now with the amount of available content, the network would be overwhelmed. Others said it would be fine. It appears the answer to that question may have been answered now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-can-the-internet-handle-unprecedented-surge-in-traffic.h...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1106893/covid-19-verizon-network-usage-increase-2020/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/07/technology/coronavirus-internet-use.html

A simple Google search has shown how internet usage has increased in the past 3 month. It is no wonder the speed you are experiencing with your cellular data has been impacted.

0 Likes
SRA69

I GOT A SOLUTION TO THE SLOW DATA IS LIKE A FREEWAY DURING RUSH HR COMMENT BUILD A BIGGER WIDER FREEWAY OR STOP TAKING ON MORE TRAFFIC YOU GET IT VERIZON blockheads

Tags (1)
gixxerhoff750

I have also had this problem while not being anywhere near my data cap. To make sure I connected to my home network via a VPN and speeds improved instantly.  Now that doesn't work and either they are congested all hours of the day or they are choosing to throttle me 24/7.  About to switch myself. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We would hate to lose you as a Verizon Wireless family member. Please allow us the opportunity to look into this to seek a resolution to your issue. Can you please send us a Private Message, so we can discuss? 

0 Likes
LeoDE

I do have the same problem when I hit 40Gb or like day 19 in the biling cycle. I have contacted Verizon and got no where with them, thier support is horrible and never follow up with issues. I feel like I lied to and paying all this money for a bad unethical service. I did speed test I go from 40 to 1.2 during the day same location while I paying for 75 gb of scam 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I'm sad to hear you feel this way LeoDE. We always want to provide you with the best customer service in the industry and would love to discuss your plan options. Does your data slow down while at home or away from home? Do you connect to WIFI? Do any other lines on your account have this issue? 

0 Likes