Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data usage and our system was hacked
Scottmac66

I have been a Home broadband user now since 3-14-2013.  We have been using less then 10 Gb per month.  A couple of months ago we let our daughter have a laptop and log into our network.  We started using a bit more data, just over 10 GB.  So we increased our plan last Nov. to the 20 GB per month.  This new month started on the 27th of December and according to verizon our network has used 53 GB of data in just a few days.  Of course the Tech. support agreed with me that a data breach is very possible.  Being as the tech. just left the WIFI unit in stock condition(during Installation), no modifications of the ssid or any new passwords.  I have heard its easy to hack into a generic WIFI system because the Generic Passwords are availible to those who know how to get them.  So natually we feel we should be allowed some break given, since this is way over our normal usage based on almost two years of reporting.  Verizon will not give us a break.  So when March rolls around this long time customer of Verizon will shut off all services and no longer give Verizon any new customers nor will we recommend them to anybody, maybe my enemies but thats it.  Very dissapointed Verizon doesn't offer some kind of 1st time overage allowance or data breach protection.  If we did it again I would pay, but this is really ridiculous. 53 GB in just a fews day.  One day showed 9 GB IN ONE DAY?  Come On MAN!  Give us a break or loose another customer

0 Likes
Re: Data usage and our system was hacked
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Scottmac66,

We would be saddened to see you go, so let's talk this out. Is your Home Broadband password protected? If so have you reset the password since the usage went up?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Scottmac66

Well just a few more days till the 14 of march and our two year contract is up.  We have been using our internet very wisely.  Well my wife did some facebook on Sunday, a little bit of banking, and here we go again. Freaking almost 7 GB of data used in one day?  This is BS, some thing is wrong with Verizon totalizers.  It appears Verizon uses a totalizer to keep track of data usage in 12 hour increments.  I still dont get it, after two years our habits have not changed, why all of the sudden doing the same thing we have been doing over the last two years, now costs us massive amounts of data?  I dont get it, have looked into my WI FI settings a number of times, have changed them twice.  Here is a great point, my wifi is OFF.  The power is OFF, meaning the switch on the back is OFF, the lights are not on.  The why do I have show usage for the 24th?  Even thought its only in the KB's it should be Zero, (0), nada, nothing.  We did not go on the internet yesterday.  It is off!!   At least with Dish network, I will not be charged for going over my 10GB limit, I will only suffer slower speeds.  And since nobody at Verizon can give us a clear explanation, I do not feel like getting anymore $200.00 per month internet bills.  Sure wish i could get cable internet where I live, unlimited data for about the same price.  This is highway robbery, Verizon, i have cleaned my machine, cleared all maleware, ran anti virus programs, I cannot find anything wrong on my end.  I think I know what I am doing, I built this computer and have been building my own pc's since the IBM 5160, thats before most of you were born!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Scottmac66, we hope that that you allow us to continue as your wireless provider for many more years. Let's take a closer look at your usage. Are you streaming music, videos, or movies on your device?  http://vz.to/18jfPJg These tasks will use large amounts of your data allowance.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
Scottmac66

So thank you for the link to the data usage calculator.  Which furthers proves my point that your totalizers are not accurate.  If I was to use 250 emails PER DAY, visit 250 web sites PER DAY and upload or download 10 photos PER DAY, my total usage (according to your calculator) I would use just a bit over 10 GB PER MONTH.  So obvisouly I dont visit 250 web sites per day let alone send 250 emails per day (who has the time for that??)  So how did we use almost 7 GB of data last Sunday Feb. 22nd?  No movies, no video and no gaming, were did the data go?  We were not even home all day, so we were online maybe a total of 3 hours last Sunday.  My next step is to download a network data counter, install it and then compare my usage to what Verizon says I used.  But ofcourse I have to wait untill my dtat resets on the 26th.  The WI-FI has been OFF since that day, yet you show data being used, its in the KB ranges but still, I'm being charged for data and the computer isn't even on.  I dont know what to tell you other then I am totally disgusted after two years of reliable and enjoyable service something happened to where we cant even do some simple banking without being charged for massive data usaage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I very much understand your concern. You've mentioned what services you don't use, may I ask what services you do use? I do notice in a previous post you mentioned Facebook. This can easily increase usage as often times video will auto play as you're scrolling down the time line. Any other tech features in the house connected to the service?

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
Scottmac66

Just to double check, i looked at my wifes acoount and mine both are set to NOT play VIDEO. My daughter was online doing research last night for about two hours.  According to your counter we used 5 GB last night.  Screw this take your over charging Verizon wireless and put it were the sun doesn't shine.  WE ARE DONE!

Have a nice day!  I will be sure to let everyone I know and dont know to NEVER sign up for this. Was great 1st two years, but now cant even go to a news web site without being ripped off on usage!  Then hit with over the top $10.00 a GB penalties.  $500.00 bill for internet. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Scottmac66, We certianly don't want you to be dissatisfied with your service experience with us! I do want to mention that we also have a great tool that will will be helpful in understanding your account data usage. Our Data Optimization Tool can be accessed when signing into your My Verizon account. Here's  a link that will provide the steps and inforamtion on how to use this great tool http://vz.to/1wSzTcF.

TanishaS1_VZW

0 Likes
Scottmac66

The folks who work at Verizon try to be very helpfull and I appreciate that.  Customer service is not an easy job!  Its drove me to drink years ago.  I just don not find it economically viable for us to conitnue this servcice.  The overage chages are unacceptible.  $60-$120 a month charges for up to 30 GB of data I feel is a bit over the top, but what else can one do.  Yes sattelite may not be as fast as Verizon, but for a similair price and NO OVERAGE charges, this will make much more sense to us.  Once again I did not log on to the internet yesterday the 4th yet a small amount of data was still used?  The comment I recieved form your competitor was "we have numerous people leaving Verizon for our service due to overage charges and unbelievable data amount being charged to thier accounts". It would seem I am not alone.  Ofcourse many of the folks out there are using more then there alloted amount, due to movies gaming etc.  But at the same time I have read many folks who actually know the differance between a GB and KB are also seeing data usage that just makes no sense.  Like last sunday we used 5 GB in two hours.  NO WAY!  I have also read a few articles reporting the same thing, Verizon data counters may not be as perfect as they believe.  I only have a few days left with this account, so I will be running my 3rd party data counter comparing my Verizon usage to your counter and my new internet provider who will be installing it today.  I will see what I see and let you at Verizon know what I find.  Also I wanted to lower my monthly bill back to the 10GB package and since I am late with our payment I cannot.  You would think since I am behind they wouldn't want me to accumualte more debt. But my account is locked down.  Not to worry, I will have the tech at the local Verizon store change it back for me, right before I cancell my account.

0 Likes
rlipsey

My bill is $448 dollars.  From July 2015 to August 2015 statement. The bill tripled in one month.  Verizon is hacked but, they don't care as long as it's making them money and you don't complain.  They figure that even after court settlements that they would still come out ahead.  Dump Verizon ASAP!!!!  Who cares about "Best Coverage" when they're ripping people off???