Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Data usage rocketing up, but doesn't correspond to what I'm using.
Bumbee

I'm using a 3G USB modem on a cradlepoint router to provide internet access in my home, out in the sticks.  We were on a 5gb plan, and were able to stay within that, with effort.  We changed to the Share Everything plan and were able to increase our usage cap at what seemed a reasonable price.  But, every month our data usage is climbing rapidly.  Last month we had to shut down the last 5 days of the month to stay within 14gb.  This does not seem consistent with our browsing habits.  A friend in the area related exactly the same experience, with usage going up to 20gb.  I've installed the Networx utility on my desktop PC to monitor the traffic through my router.  That is showing data usage of only ~1/3 the amount that the My Verizon usage report is showing.  I'm not a conspiracy theory fan or anything, but I'm starting to feel that there is an issue with the accuracy of our billing.  Has anyone else experienced similar issues with bandwidth usage?  Any ideas of what might account for it?  (Yes, all those autoplay videos on web sites are an issue, but we're awfully quick to shut them off.)

Tags (2)
Re: Data usage rocketing up, but doesn't correspond to what I'm using.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi Bumbee,

We always want your charges to be accurate! Data overages are no good, so let's get to the bottom of this. Which modem do you have? Do you turn off your 3G USB modem when you're not using the device? How many devices have access or use this modem? Are there any unknown devices connected to the modem?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Bumbee

PamelaF_VZW

I'm using the USB727 modem.  It's on the router to provide service to our home, so typically is turned on when we are home and awake.  Besides the desk-top PC that's wired to the router, there are a couple of laptops, an ipod, an android tablet, and a smart phone that CAN access the network.  The use of all but the PC are quite restricted.  The kids know they have to stream videos and download content when in town where they can get unlimited WiFi.  We're >1/4 mile from the nearest neighbor, so no one is pirating our service. 

Despite the reply from John Getzke, Networx does monitor the router, not just the traffic between the PC and router.  It does this through the WANCommonInterfaceConfig service.  Yesterday, MyVerizon showed something in excess of 4gb usage on the USB modem in the past 12 days.  The Networx usage report is showing 1.52gb usage by all users on the network in just a tad bit less than that same time period. 

Thanks for your assistance

Bumbee

0 Likes
TinaBell76009

I am having the same problem. I started turning everything off and as soon as I turn it back on my data usage goes up 2-5g within minutes and I start receiving messages that I am over my data plan. I have had to up my data at least twice a month and can find no indication of why the data is being used so fast. Please help.

RobH13

Your only alternative is to find another wireless provider. You will get no where with Verizon. For 5 years I averaged 7GB of data a month. When I switched to a new plan and device my data usage went up dramatically while using the internet no more than usual. I started on a 10 gig plan and it said I went over to 12g, so I bumped up to the next plan and verizon says I went over then. So I bumped to the next plan, etc. and they still say I'm going over. I am now on a 20G plan and have gone over again. No matter what plan I'm on, I still go about 2G over. It's all pure bull and you'll never get resolution to your problem.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thanks for the information Bumbee. WEre you able to identify which device could possibly be using more data than allowed? I recommend using the My-Verizon data information because the networx usage may not catch all the data being used between the Pc and the monitor. This may include updates etc.

KinquanaH_VZw
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Bumbee

I am not seeing ANYTHING that would account for the volume of data usage that MyVerizon is recording.  All updates, etc. are accounted for.  In Networx, I'm viewing the data per application, per user and per time -- all of them are showing much less usage that Verizon is reporting.  I've run utilities to make sure I'm not infected with Malware, etc., as I've run into that previously.  To suggest that the utility I'm using that is very specific to this purpose is missing activity logged on the Verizon network monitors far from here is a bit condecending. 

Maybe I need to be blunt -- I do not believe that I am using as much data as I am being charged for.  My experience is far from unique, as evidenced by posts on this forum, as well as discussions with fellow Verizon customers in my community.  I feel that I have no ability to confirm that I am getting what I am paying for.  What would satisfy me would be for Verizon to provide a utility that is externally validated so that I can monitor my home network and confirm that the charges are valid.  Currently, I suspect that, intentional or not, Verizon is billing me for data I'm not using.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

TinaBell76009,

Heard the call for help! We will gladly take a closer look at this matter for you.

What model phone do you have? Although it's difficult to determine the exact reason, through some research we can help figure it out. Have you sent any e-mails from your phone in the last few days/weeks? Be sure to check your sent/draft box to make sure that no e-mails are stuck while trying to send.

Also try to clear cache and cookies on your device.

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Bumbee

Not TinaBell!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Bumbee,

I apologize for the confusion with the earlier message, let's continue working on this. Our system only records data that is used and reported by the device. In most cases, we find there are applications running and you may not be aware of that. Do you have any cloud storae services? What applications do you run? How did you access your data usage on My Verizon?

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes