Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data
jman87

I would like to attach two different laptops to a my phones WiFi hotspot, and transfer a large amount of data (20GB) between them. Since this is all local data really, is it billable at all as data usage?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Data
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Do you have a wireless router?  You can use that even with no internet and transfer from data between them.  If you use the hotspot, you will use your Verizon Data.

0 Likes
jman87

It really uses data? Even if it is just device to device and not Internet traffic?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

If that's what you believe. Did you know most routers do "phone home" right? At least 2-3 times a day.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

I read that wrong. Yes you could transfer data between things without a internet connections. If you are leery about it you can unplug the cable and put both items in airplane mode. Then just turn on WiFi and set everything up.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I might try turning data off and leaving wifi on, your phone may have the option to wifi transfer using the phone as the router.  A router wills till be many many times faster, but when you try this turn off mobile data, just to be sure.

Snn5
Sr. Leader

The fastest easiest way (assuming you have a router) is to have the PCs on the same network and allow them to share files, or alternatively, use an external hard drive.  But, let us know what happens and how it goes.

0 Likes