Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don't trust ANYTHING Customer Service reps say about global plans - screwed without recourse
Krister1

I have a 1400 minute family plan and have been a Verizon customer for decades.  I am going to Kenya in 3 days, and have been talking with Verizon for a month about a global plan for Kenya.  I was told by three separate Customer Service representatives that there were different levels of packaged plans, and selected a $79.99/month plan for 150 MB per month.  I was also purchasing a new iPhone and was assured that the phone AND THE GLOBAL PLAN would work for me in Kenya, as it had last year with a Blackberry. I was also advised to wait and sign up for the plan after I had activated the new iPhone.

Today when I called, had the representative check the data calculator (for the third time) and chose to activate the $79.99 global plan.  I was transferred to a global service representative (Patricia) who told me THERE IS NO GLOBAL PACKAGE PLAN FOR KENYA! This not five minutes after I signed up for that very plan, using information confirmed by three previous Customer Service representatives.

I spoke with Patricia's supervisor, Daryl, who repeatedly told me that since I had not yet been billed there was no recourse for the misinformation I had received from three separate Verizon Customer Service representatives.  We are already in transit and there is no time to return the iPhone in the requisite 30 days, and now I am dead in the water for global communication at a time when my parents are both in failing health.

I cannot tell you how frustrated and disappointed I am in my Verizon service, but Darly also informed me that it would cost us $1160 to cancel the existing contracts on our four lines. Daryl agreed to put it in writing that Verizon is not obligated to honor verbal commitments made by (multiple in this case) Customer Service representatives unless or until a service has been erroneously billed.  I will not be surprised if I never do receive that letter.
Kris

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Don't trust ANYTHING Customer Service reps say about global plans - screwed without recourse
spottedcatfish

The reason why you have no recourse is because no amount of wishing or wanting will make roaming agreements for global data exist in Kenya when they do not.  Verizon literally has nothing to offer you than an apology because there is no money to refund, and there's no way to make the capability exist just because they want it to.

I'd reccomend turning off cellular data on your phone, and using WiFi hotspots at hotels and other areas.  Also, I belive the iPhone 4S is a global phone, so you might want to investigate the cost of getting a SIM card from a local provider, and then call Verizon for the unlock code for your phone.

One last possible bit of help, if you bought your phone after November 25th, it can be returned through January 15th with the holiday return policy.

Have fun in Kenya!

0 Likes
Re: Don't trust ANYTHING Customer Service reps say about global plans - screwed without recourse
silver6055

spottedcatfish wrote:

The reason why you have no recourse is because no amount of wishing or wanting will make roaming agreements for global data exist in Kenya when they do not.  Verizon literally has nothing to offer you than an apology because there is no money to refund, and there's no way to make the capability exist just because they want it to.

Well, I don't think it is that!

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/traveling_to/Africa/Kenya.html 

shows that you can roam in Kenya for the standard $20+ per MB.   So it might be that they couldn't get data cheap enough to make it worth offering the plans, but the *capability* is there.

The plans do seem to keep changing.  After the unlimited plan went away in Jan, they offered tiered plans in a few areas only (Mexico/Canada/Carribean/Europe) then expanded it to apparently everywhere, but obviously some countries are not covered.

I do agree with spottedcatfish about trying to get a local SIM, but you will need to talk to Verizon reps again to get the phone unlocked.  However, Kenya has instituited mandatory registration of SIM cards, so not sure what documentation you will need to purchase one.

0 Likes