Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Re: First responders discount doesn’t qualify for nurses
mnick1313

This is a sexist and misogynistic policy. Seeing that most men are Firefighters, EMT and Police. And most woman are in Nursing.  I am not static in my role. And I can hear many of my colleagues voicing this same concern. I am a first responder. I have more training, experience and knowledge than many of the previously listed jobs. In fact, most of those professions report to me and look to me for my "First Responder" knowledge. Yet, I am not qualified for this discount. So when I respond to a woman having a seizure at a store or a man in diabetic event. I am just a "Nurse".  I wish more nurses would start to demand more respect for the difficult and crucial work they do!

mama23dogs

@mnick1313 wrote:

This is a sexist and misogynistic policy. Seeing that most men are Firefighters, EMT and Police. And most woman are in Nursing.  I am not static in my role. And I can hear many of my colleagues voicing this same concern. I am a first responder. I have more training, experience and knowledge than many of the previously listed jobs. In fact, most of those professions report to me and look to me for my "First Responder" knowledge. Yet, I am not qualified for this discount. So when I respond to a woman having a seizure at a store or a man in diabetic event. I am just a "Nurse".  I wish more nurses would start to demand more respect for the difficult and crucial work they do!

Nice try.  If you are not paid to rush to peoples aid in a public place, you are not PAID to be a first responder.   If it was a requirement of your job you would indeed qualify.

That is the most sexiest thing that I have read in quite some time.  The discount is extended regardless of gender, religious, or sexual orientation.   You just have to have a job that qualifies.  You need to check your bias.   

I have a female cousin who is a paid firefighter for West Hartford CT. I have a now retired elderly male relative who was a nurse for 35 years in Hartford CT.   I know several females who are EMTs.   I have a female friend who is a police officer in my town.  

My distant cousin who is a firefighter does get the discount.  As do the EMTs and police officer I know.  

I know both male and female who are doctors.   My ex-husband is male and a doctor.   Guess what?  None of the doctors,  neither the men or the women qualify as first responders and none of them get a discount.  

mnick1313

I apologize if I offended you by asking why not all First Responders are awarded a discount. I wanted to simply show that as a female nurse and a First Responder who works outside of a hospital and clinic, I do not qualify. I am paid to rush to peoples aide and I think that makes me a First Responder in your response. But guess what... I don't qualify?  Life Flight nurses do not qualify, but the EMT's they work with do. This makes no sense.

And, I was not trying to be sexist or biased. But why do fields that are male dominate get a discount, but not a female dominated First Responder field? If you breakdown the numbers:  Women make up only 7.3 percent of all firefighters (National Fire Protection Association, 2017) and only 13 percent of US police rosters (National Center for Women & Policing, 2010). While women compromise 92% of RN's roles. Seems a bit lopsided on who can qualify for first responder discounts. 

My point ultimately is that if you are a First Responder, be it a Fire Fighter, Police, EMT or Doctor or Nurse. A discount should be applied. 

mama23dogs

Doctors are not first responders, and doctors are NOT included and male doctors out number female 2 to 1.   

0 Likes
Jay_Oh

First responders are police, fire, and EMS. You don’t respond to 911 calls. You don’t go into the unknown, in people’s houses, in the subway, etc, with people that may be trying to kill you, steal your ambulance, or otherwise harm you. Ems does. You have landlines/VOIP in the hospital.. we don’t.. you’ll be ok. 

Jay_Oh

Not only this, you need doctor’s orders to do anything. Paramedics don’t need a doctors order to give someone oxygen or average acls drugs, even narcotics in some situations. 

On a separate note, “knowledge? ”. Can you personally intubate someone on standing orders? Or at all for that matter  Do you have the understanding to interpret a 12 lead ecg? 

I take offense to your comment, because the fields of ems and nursing, even emergency nursing, are very different. 

Bbagge

Especially now. My wife is on the frontlines at the hospital dealing with Covid-19, bringing that exposure back home to our families at times while others are working from home or sheltered in place. If that’s not worthy of a discount then I don’t know what is.  VERIZON step up!

mama23dogs

@Bbagge wrote:

Especially now. My wife is on the frontlines at the hospital dealing with Covid-19, bringing that exposure back home to our families at times while others are working from home or sheltered in place. If that’s not worthy of a discount then I don’t know what is.  VERIZON step up!

As are doctors, and they aren’t eligible either because your phone is not a work requirement.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, Bbagge. We appreciate your wife's service at the hospital during this uncertain time. Our focus today is the same as every day. We’ll continue to support you now and in the days and weeks to come. For more information about our efforts to keep you connected use the link: vz.to/coronavirus. I'm also happy to review your account for additional assistance. Please check your private messages.

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
mnick1313

I don't know how your EMS system works, but as a Registered Nurse, I work in a team format for first responders. Yes, I can intubate and give medications with standing orders, I am highly qualified to read EKG's and run codes as needed. Do not insult my emergency and critical care skills or of the nurses your work with, I am sure they are not happy when you do that.  And now, I am asked, just as you are to triage patients as they come into tents for Covid-19. I am putting my life at risk to help you and your family. I run and support ventilators and machines that keep people alive in unbelievable circumstances. This is not an us against us... This is a little respect for the risk that we all put ourselves in day to day. And that healthcare providers, RN's and emergency care workers are all on the front lines. Especially in todays world!