Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Job Verizon Way to Get Greedy
skipdownsteps

so i hadnt noticed until today that they got rid of the unlimited data.... way to sell out like at&t verizon i just upgraded in feb but as soon as my next upgrade comes we will be taking our 6 lines to sprint a less greedy carrier with better customer service enjoy being the 2nd or 3rd largest carrier verizon... remember when at&t was #1 **bleep**ty decisions like that are why they aren't anymore

0 Likes
Re: Good Job Verizon Way to Get Greedy
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

By the time you are able to switch without an ETF, Sprint will no longer have unlimited data

0 Likes
BlkGenius

budone wrote:

By the time you are able to switch without an ETF, Sprint will no longer have unlimited data

Incorrect. Sprint has not confirmed that they will be getting rid of unlimited data. Sprint has assured customers that they will retain their unlimited data for the foreseeable future. 

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20111753-85/sprint-confirms-it-will-stick-with-unlimited-data-plans...

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=16762

In fact, Sprint has been shuffling and axing a lot of their customer incentive programs, such as the Premier program, early upgrade program, unlimited hotspot data and others to ensure customers will be able to keep their handset unlimited data plans even if they have to pay for the tethering beyond a certain monthly GB limit. 

Until Sprint officially axes their unlimited data plan, everything is speculation.

If AT&T and Verizon were smart, they would've went the route T-Mobile went. Instead, they're greedy. Not only are they forcing tiered data limits that are realistic as more applications and devices use more data but they both have the ability to slow a users speed after they reach a certain threshold and they chose not to do so. Verizon recently has said they will begin to throttle their "unlimited" data customers who are on the 3G EVDO network. 

http://support.vzw.com/information/data_disclosure.html

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/16/as-of-yesterday-verizon-started-throttling-its-top-5-data-hogs-...

It remains to be seen if the throttling will occur only to customers who are tethering their device or customers who are using data entirely from the handset. In either case, unlimited truly isn't unlimited and if Verizon had the capabilities to "throttle" data, they should have taken that approach before enforcing tiered data. At the end of the day, it all amounts to being greedy. Verizon's LTE network hasn't had the adoption rate they desired and thus they want to force customers into choosing LTE, which the throttling does not apply but tired data does, which ultimately means customers will use more data and be forced into higher tiers or pay overages. It's a cat and mouse game, which the typical customer may not realize until it begins to hit them in the wallet.

We understand Verizon is a business and their main objective is to make money but there is something to be said about a company that in the midst of a recession, side with the consumer (throttling vs. tiers), as it builds a relationship with the customer that when things begin to turn around the customer will be more tolerable of rate increases. 

How can someone recommend Verizon based on price when one day a customer could sign up for a $29.99 unlimited data plan and the next day that option is no longer available and for $29.99 you get 2GB of data. 

I don't tether my device at all and 10 days into my billing cycle i'm at 1.109GB according to the meter on my Bionic and that's despite the fact I use WiFi whenever possible. I would think i'm a light data user compared to others. To think 2GB will suffice in the days of streaming EVERYTHING is ludicrous. $50 for 5GB of data is price gouging. Is it fair for your parents or grandparents who may use 500MB of data per month to pay $30? There has to be a better way of handling data while reining in those who abuse the network. Those that abuse the network account for a tiny percentage but as the old adage goes, "the good must suffer with the bad".

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

I believe Sprint after the holidays will dump unlimited data. It is speculation either way. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse HAS stated unlimited data days are limited. They just have not chose WHEN.

As for 10 days and using over 1GB of data and supposedly using WiFi when ever you can, you are doing much more when not on WiFi than you realize. Or you are not connected to WiFi when you think you are.

This current billing period, I have purposely have kept the WiFi option off to see what I use. During lunch I am always on the net, Sundays I watch NFL Red Zone, and at night I listen to music for a couple hours.  And when not around my laptop, I will check and respond to email and FB. I have 5 days to go and I just topped 1GB.

Forgot to ask, when you mention the meter on the Bionic, are you speaking of the Data Usage App from VZW, or a meter that just measures data used, no matter how it is received???

0 Likes
Not applicable

BlkGenius wrote:

budone wrote:

Incorrect. Sprint has not confirmed that they will be getting rid of unlimited data. Sprint has assured customers that they will retain their unlimited data for the foreseeable future. 

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20111753-85/sprint-confirms-it-will-stick-with-unlimited-data-plans...

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=16762

In fact, Sprint has been shuffling and axing a lot of their customer incentive programs, such as the Premier program, early upgrade program, unlimited hotspot data and others to ensure customers will be able to keep their handset unlimited data plans even if they have to pay for the tethering beyond a certain monthly GB limit. 

Until Sprint officially axes their unlimited data plan, everything is speculation.

If AT&T and Verizon were smart, they would've went the route T-Mobile went. Instead, they're greedy. Not only are they forcing tiered data limits that are realistic as more applications and devices use more data but they both have the ability to slow a users speed after they reach a certain threshold and they chose not to do so. Verizon recently has said they will begin to throttle their "unlimited" data customers who are on the 3G EVDO network. 

http://support.vzw.com/information/data_disclosure.html

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/16/as-of-yesterday-verizon-started-throttling-its-top-5-data-hogs-...

It remains to be seen if the throttling will occur only to customers who are tethering their device or customers who are using data entirely from the handset. In either case, unlimited truly isn't unlimited and if Verizon had the capabilities to "throttle" data, they should have taken that approach before enforcing tiered data. At the end of the day, it all amounts to being greedy. Verizon's LTE network hasn't had the adoption rate they desired and thus they want to force customers into choosing LTE, which the throttling does not apply but tired data does, which ultimately means customers will use more data and be forced into higher tiers or pay overages. It's a cat and mouse game, which the typical customer may not realize until it begins to hit them in the wallet.

We understand Verizon is a business and their main objective is to make money but there is something to be said about a company that in the midst of a recession, side with the consumer (throttling vs. tiers), as it builds a relationship with the customer that when things begin to turn around the customer will be more tolerable of rate increases. 

How can someone recommend Verizon based on price when one day a customer could sign up for a $29.99 unlimited data plan and the next day that option is no longer available and for $29.99 you get 2GB of data. 

I don't tether my device at all and 10 days into my billing cycle i'm at 1.109GB according to the meter on my Bionic and that's despite the fact I use WiFi whenever possible. I would think i'm a light data user compared to others. To think 2GB will suffice in the days of streaming EVERYTHING is ludicrous. $50 for 5GB of data is price gouging. Is it fair for your parents or grandparents who may use 500MB of data per month to pay $30? There has to be a better way of handling data while reining in those who abuse the network. Those that abuse the network account for a tiny percentage but as the old adage goes, "the good must suffer with the bad".

I love how people who can't even use correct Englsh think they know how to manage one of the largest corporations in the US.
0 Likes
Lockup

jimfitzgerald wrote:

I love how people who can't even use correct Englsh think they know how to manage one of the largest corporations in the US.

I love how people who think they are so much smarter than other people can't simply use the spell check button.

0 Likes