Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Has anyone else suddenly noticed a major surge in the data used by their MiFi? .
Kampcat

Has anyone else suddenly noticed a major surge in the data used by their MiFi?  My data requirements are sometimes showing 5 + gig in a day, there are no streaming movies or high data programs running. It is only my husband and myself. We have changed our password and tried the basics but the unit appears to be crazy.

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else suddenly noticed a major surge in the data used by their MiFi? .
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi Kampcat,

Let's look into this! Which Mi-Fi device do you have? When did your concern arise? You mentioned, not streaming movies. Do stream music and/or watch YouTube videos? Have you had a chance to review your data sessions via http://bit.ly/xB4iTc in an effort to identify the day and time of the highest usage? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Has anyone else suddenly noticed a major surge in the data used by their MiFi? .
navymom48

I have had the same problem! I am the only one that uses my router and that is on my home computer.The router uses way too much data! the other phones on my plan do not have the wifi password so it is only coming from the computer.I too, do not watch videos or even listen to music as i am always using too much as it is just browsing.I cannot afford this at all.I already jumped it up to 14 gb and i am at 7 already for this month with 19 days still to go.Something is definatley wrong here.And i am not even on it very much either.Maybe a total of 3 hours a day as i work .

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely want to help you get to the bottom of your mystery usage, navymom48. I had something similar happen with my data, but found it was because of an automatic backup I selected through my antivirus program on the computer. The most common reasons for unexpected high data usage is from backups or updates. Have you had an opportunity to check your computer to make sure it's not set to accept auto-updates for the operating system or other programs you've installed? Also, do you happen to have any type of backup program installed? We want to help you get back on track to stay within your data allowance.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
navymom48

I have no back up on my computer and i have my updates set to manual.This has been like this since the beginning.I started with 8 gb now i have had to upgrade to 14 and still not good.I cant even watch a video or listen to music or anything for fear the i will use it all up.It seemd to me that something is very wrong with the data usage.Is there not a way to tell exactly what it is being used up from.Also, what time zone is it in.Because i know that at the times it says for usage, i am not using it at that time.I have been shutting it off now when i am done to try to figure out what is going on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I truly appreciate the information, navymom48. I want you to be able to use the device freely without worry of going over. The data usage can be found on My Verizon by viewing the data details for the device. The data details will provide insight into the amount of data used during a time period. I do want to advise that data usage is not approximate to the timeframe it was used. It may vary depending on when data information was received as usage can be delayed.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
navymom48

obviously, i have been checking my data usage.This response does nothing to help me at all! Why is it that it uses so much data? If there is no significant time, then how can it be calculated correctly? I think that Verizon needs to get ahold of this problem and get it figured out.If you cannot tell me where the usage is being used up from correctly,then i assume it is just an estimate and that is just unacceptable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Glad to hear you have been keeping a handle on your data usage navymom48. Data can be consumed faster due to a variety of factors, such as streaming audio and video content, visiting sites with live feeds, graphics and pictures. In addition, social media sites and e-mails with embedded attachments also consume data quickly. What make and model device do you have? Are you ensuring you are completely powering the device down when not in use? Leaving it powered on and connected will continue to use data.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes