Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Higher Rates for Less Service?
PSBowen

I hope someone from Verizon can help me out with this and wonder if others are experiencing the same issue.

I have one smart phone and four basic phones on a nationwide plan for 700 minutes with unlimited text and unlimited data for the smartphone.

I pay about $160 ($175 with charges) that, again, includes unlimited data on one smart phone.

When I checked the new shared plans, I found that if I keep the same phone setup and move to the same plan, my data will get decreased from unlimited data to a 2GB limit (we use about 1GB/month anyway and don't get close to the 700 mins), but my plan cost will go up $60/month to $220/month plus charges.

So I keep the same phones, switch plans, get reduced data and my cost goes up 38%.

So obviously I'm keeping the current plan so my phone bill doesn't go up almost 40%.

Here are the issues.... When one of the basic phones comes up for upgrade, will I be forced to spend an extra $60 a month to get the subsidized phone price (and move to the new plan) or pay the full price for a new phone? (Answer appears to be yes)

Here's the other issue: Verizon signed up up for another two year contract a couple of months ago when we used an upgrade on a new smartphone. Now they've essentially changed the terms by saying that if we want to upgrade one of our basic phones at a subsidized price, we will have to pay go to the new shared plan with the 40% ($60) price increase for less service (data), or we can't use the subsidized upgrade and can choose to pay full retail price on any new basic phones... And we're held hostage to old phones or new phones at full retail for at least the next two years. Which means that one of the key things we liked about old Verizon--subsidized phone upgrades every two years--has become a worthless feature.

If this is true, shouldn't I be able to get out of my current contract because Verizon has essentially sold one feature (subsidized upgrades every two years), but then made it a non-option by forcing a change to a higher plan.

We've loved Verizon to this point--I even brought my company's corporate account over to Verizon--but this would be a game-changer.

Any advice would help.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Higher Rates for Less Service?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

You don't have to switch to the Share Everything plans when you upgrade any of your lines.  You have the option of selecting the individual tiered data plans for each line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

You don't have to switch to the Share Everything plans when you upgrade any of your lines.  You have the option of selecting the individual tiered data plans for each line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
brian3

thats what I did, i kept the individual plan. I won't go for the share plan.

0 Likes
ih8verizon2

I am trying to activate a used Barage V860 on a America's Choice plan and Verizon will not let me.  First they lie and tell me that the Nationwide plan is exactly the same for the same price.  When I bring up that data was by minutes and on the Nationwide plan data is by megabyte.  Verizon is just trying to suck more money out of an old customer.  I am seriously considering Metro PCS.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

The America's Choice plan is very old plan and might not be compatible with the newer phones.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

ih8verizon2 wrote:

I am trying to activate a used Barage V860 on a America's Choice plan and Verizon will not let me.  First they lie and tell me that the Nationwide plan is exactly the same for the same price. When you compare cost of minutes and texting, it IS the same for the America's choice and the Nationwide plans.

When I bring up that data was by minutes and on the Nationwide plan data is by megabyte. And this is the very reason you cannot activate a newer phone on the old America's Choice plan (are there even any still around?)  Data is no longer measured and calculated by minutes online, it is based on actual usage in MB (or KB, or GB) and as far as I know, the only way now to use data on your phone is Pay as you go, by the megabyte (basic phones only), or with a tiered data amount - $10 for 75 MB (basic phones only), $30 for 2GB, $50 for 5GB, etc....

Verizon is just trying to suck more money out of an old customer.  I am seriously considering Metro PCS.  Good luck to you.

0 Likes