Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Home Fusion Data Usage
benhmorris63

We signed up for Home Fusion several months ago and have been please with the service overall.  We began getting data usage alerts on our 10GB plan and bumped it to 20 GB.  We continued to get data usage alerts.  I've worked in IT for 30 years and am very familiar with systems process and the background activity that can take place on a PC or phone when you are not using it (i.e. Facebook, games, news apps notifications, weather apps, etc.).  After getting the alerts on our 20GB plan I started troubleshooting the issue.  I noticed that every 6 hours, a data transfer was taking place.  Like clockwork, it occurs everyday, every 6 hours.  Searching back through my bills, this has been happening as far back as I could see.  I powered off every connected device in my house for 2 days to make sure nothing would connect to the WIFI.  Our system is password protected and we live in a rural area and there is no one near our house that could be tapping our service even if they had the password.

Test results showed that the data activity continued every 6 hours, on schedule like before.  The data consumption varies from less than a MB to several hundred MB.  On average, it is consuming roughly 250 - 500 MB per day.  Over the course of a month, this represents several GB of activity taking place between Verizon and the Home Fusion router.  I looked through the log files and for some setting that might tell me what this activity is but could not find anything.

I would like for someone from Verizon to tell me what this activity is and if it's necessary for normal system maintenance, provide some allowance so that I'm not paying for usage that I don't have available.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Home Fusion Data Usage
benhmorris63

I wanted to put in an update on this post.  I spoke with 2 different support techs who were very pleasant and helpful (Greg and Stacey).  We went through the testing again.  When I saw the same results again, they referred me to the Home Fusion support folks who looked at it as well.  Again, very pleasant and helpful.  They offered to replace the system with a new one but noticed something that I am embarrassed to say, I had not.  During the periods of my testing that everything was disconnected, the data consumed during the 6 hour intervals was minuscule.  I expected to see the 6 hour intervals disappear and when they did not, I didn't look more closely at it.  I retested again from Friday evening to Wednesday morning to have a large enough span for any data accumulation to occur and it didn't.  There is some small amount of KBs being used but that is to be expected while the router talks to Verizon's systems.  That will be the case with any system and just the way it works. 

The end result is that I do not have a problem and Verizon is NOT consuming my data.  The support techs were very friendly and helpful.  Thank you!

To all the folks who rant and rave and and make very uncivil posts about data usage, please make sure you have done your homework thoroughly before screaming at Verizon and demanding the CEO's e-mail address or some nonsense like that.  You have the tools, use them.  I am an IT professional who troubleshoots systems issues for a living and I missed it.  All of the techs I dealt with were very pleasant, professional, and wanted to help.  Show them the same courtesy you would expect for yourself. 

Living in a rural area, there are limited options for Internet access.  In my area, Verizon is the best of what's available.  I am very pleased with my Home Fusion system. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Home Fusion Data Usage
benhmorris63

I wanted to put in an update on this post.  I spoke with 2 different support techs who were very pleasant and helpful (Greg and Stacey).  We went through the testing again.  When I saw the same results again, they referred me to the Home Fusion support folks who looked at it as well.  Again, very pleasant and helpful.  They offered to replace the system with a new one but noticed something that I am embarrassed to say, I had not.  During the periods of my testing that everything was disconnected, the data consumed during the 6 hour intervals was minuscule.  I expected to see the 6 hour intervals disappear and when they did not, I didn't look more closely at it.  I retested again from Friday evening to Wednesday morning to have a large enough span for any data accumulation to occur and it didn't.  There is some small amount of KBs being used but that is to be expected while the router talks to Verizon's systems.  That will be the case with any system and just the way it works. 

The end result is that I do not have a problem and Verizon is NOT consuming my data.  The support techs were very friendly and helpful.  Thank you!

To all the folks who rant and rave and and make very uncivil posts about data usage, please make sure you have done your homework thoroughly before screaming at Verizon and demanding the CEO's e-mail address or some nonsense like that.  You have the tools, use them.  I am an IT professional who troubleshoots systems issues for a living and I missed it.  All of the techs I dealt with were very pleasant, professional, and wanted to help.  Show them the same courtesy you would expect for yourself. 

Living in a rural area, there are limited options for Internet access.  In my area, Verizon is the best of what's available.  I am very pleased with my Home Fusion system. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes