Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
How to disable International Data Roaming
VVN

Today I connected to wireless data service from my Samsung Tab from India unintentionally and without being aware of the extremely high cost of such usage.  I got an email alert and estimated charges of $ 81.92 for merely 3.53 MB.   More expensive than GOLD !!!

I was trying to send Verizon an email to disable INTERNATIONAL DATA ACCESS & ROAMING for my Tablet BUT cannot find any Verizon Support email address to contact them.  THATS A SHAME.

I also signed to my account but there is no feature to disable international roaming. 

I am so scarred even to turn on my tab for the fear that the device may automatically try to connect with service providers here in India and incur big charges for me. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: How to disable International Data Roaming
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello to you VVN,

I hope you're enjoying your travels in India! We absolutely don't want you to incur any data charges you're not attempting to utilize. I would be delighted to ensure we review all options for your data services. Which model Samsung Tablet do you have?

Generally most Android devices can have the data disabled from the settings menu. Without knowing the exact model, I can provide general steps. Most often you can disable Android Data services by following Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Uncheck Mobile Data as well as Global Data Roaming Access > Deny Data Roaming

Additionally, if you'd like to see what data costs/packages may be available while in India you can review here: http://vz.to/13PtksT For example, we have a $25 international data package that provides 100 MB instead of the $20.48/MB. If prefered we can attempt to backdate this option if still within your billing cycle and no other changes have been made.

Keep me posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello to you VVN,

I hope you're enjoying your travels in India! We absolutely don't want you to incur any data charges you're not attempting to utilize. I would be delighted to ensure we review all options for your data services. Which model Samsung Tablet do you have?

Generally most Android devices can have the data disabled from the settings menu. Without knowing the exact model, I can provide general steps. Most often you can disable Android Data services by following Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Uncheck Mobile Data as well as Global Data Roaming Access > Deny Data Roaming

Additionally, if you'd like to see what data costs/packages may be available while in India you can review here: http://vz.to/13PtksT For example, we have a $25 international data package that provides 100 MB instead of the $20.48/MB. If prefered we can attempt to backdate this option if still within your billing cycle and no other changes have been made.

Keep me posted!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
VVN

Hi Melissa,

I don't know how the device/service started communicating via 3G when the icon on the Samsung Galaxy Tab was showing as Wi-Fi connection.  I am having this device/service from Verizon for over 3 years now & been using a lot & had no similar incident when using in the US.  

For the fear of unintended 3G connectivity & the charges there-off, I have completely stopped the usage of my Samsung Tab in India.  It has been TURNED OFF since 10/09/13.    I will check to see if I can find Deny Data Roaming on my Samsung Galaxy Device.  I did not find any such feature on my Verizon web account.

As, I will be back in the US by 10/28/13 -  it does not make much sense to change plans for such a short time.  However,  I would like to know if the charges can be discounted or partially waived on a one time basis and to be considered in the $ 25 / 100 MB international data package instead of $ 81.92 charged at this time.

Thank you.

Veena

0 Likes