Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is it possible to get Data Roaming in South Korea?
brianl818

I have a Verizon Iphone 5. I travel to Asia quite frequently. My stops always include Japan and Korea. When I am in Japan, I am able to use my phone via 3G to surf the web, email, etc. It's not the fastest connection but sufficient. However, the moment I step foot in Korea, my data goes dead. I will be in the heart of Seoul, the largest city in Korea, and I will have no access to data outside of a wifi connection. When I use Korean smartphones, the network is extremely quick, faster than my phone on it's home 4g connection. According to Verizon coverage maps and Verizon tech support, my phone should work. However, I can't get any data, not even a slow one. I've tried messing with all the settings, power cycle, etc. still nothing. Is my phone even capable of data roaming in Korea? If so, how come my data works fine in Japan and then 2 hours later doesn't work at all in Korea?

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible to get Data Roaming in South Korea?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

brianl818, Traveling often must be exciting! Your Verizon Wireless device will work in South Korea. The Speeds are 1x and 3G. We highly recommend reaching out to our global support team before you travel. This way we can make sure the account and device are provisioned for international services correctly. Click here: http://vz.to/17KseUf

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
brianl818

In the past I've spoken with the Verizon global support and made all the necessary recommendations. However, as I said in my previous post, I am am to surf and access data in Japan with ease. It works fine in Kyoto and Tokyo, even in the subways and in certain spots along the Shinkansen. However, as soon as I touch down in Korea flying from Japan, my phone becomes a paper weight. Voice and text functions work, however due to the high toll rates, I avoid using them. You say I should have access to 1x and even 3g data, however, in downtown Seoul, which would probably be the Korean equivalent of downtown Manhattan, Needless to say every carrier has above average coverage in a major city like NY. I have no access to data at all. I would walk blocks thinking I'm not hitting the right tower or what not and nothing. No data whatsoever, not even 1x. From my own research, South Korea has one of the best cellular networks in the world. However, without access to emails and google functions like maps, it becomes increasingly difficult to travel with Verizon. I'm constantly looking for a Starbucks or some other venue offering wi-fi so I don't get lost while traveling the city. If Verizon is supposed to have roaming data in Korea or specifically Seoul, which carrier are they linked to?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

brianl818, I'm glad you were able to get in touch with our global support! They are truly the experts about all international capabilities of services. I'm very sad to hear that you continue to have issues after working with them. Were you currently in Seoul when you contacted them? This may be the best way to have them troubleshoot and figure out what is going on. They can be reached using the following directions: http://vz.to/1nENKhi

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes