Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Just Kids Plan is not blocking phone calls from numbers not on the trusted contact list
graynotgrey66

I have tried to get this issue resolved since Christmas day with Verizon tech support either by calling *611 or chatting with them online, but I either get disconnected or no one calls me back. When I do communicate with someone it is as if they do not understand how the Just Kids plan is supposed to work and I have to explain it to them how it is supposed to work which is that only numbers (up to 20) on the trusted contact list can call or be texted to and from the phone on the plan.

However, on my daughters phone which is on the Just Kids plan that I switched to in the beginning of December, numbers not on the trusted contact list can still get through either way. They can call the phone or the phone can call them, but text messages are successfully blocked. I know this because I tested the service by having a couple friends and a neice that are not on the trusted contact list call or text my daughter's phone. Again, text messages were blocked, but the phone calls were not. They got through. 

The device is a new unlocked Motorola Power G phone which I purchased from Amazon which appears to be functioning fine in every other way. I have the Smart Family companion app successfully installed and activated on it. I have a few phone numbers on the trusted contact list.

My daughter previously had a Moto E4 and was on a Go Unlimited plan with the Smart Family premimum app, but that did not prove secure enough, so I switched to the Just Kids plan.     

0 Likes
Re: Just Kids Plan is not blocking phone calls from numbers not on the trusted contact list
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Let's get to the bottom of this Smart Family issue.  A private message has been sent to assist you further.

0 Likes
Re: Just Kids Plan is not blocking phone calls from numbers not on the trusted contact list
shaunnaboo

My daughter has the Just Kids plan and she has been able to send/receive calls and texts from number that are not listed as Trusted Contacts. She has a Galaxy Note 9. Can anyone advise as to why this is happening??

0 Likes
graynotgrey66

Customer support replied to my message privately and asked if the apps and device were up to date, which they are. It is running Android 10.

Sorry to hear that you experiencing issues, but at least I'm not the only one. You would think that Verizon would have the issues worked out on a service advertised and targeted for children relating to privacy and security. 

I'm inclined to think the issue was at the network system level that would screen and route calls and text messages before they ever got to the device, to begin with. Text messages are successfully blocked on my daughter's phone at least, so the system is partially working for me whereas it does not seem to work at all for you. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to ensure you get the assistance you need. 

Please use this link: https://www.verizon.com/support/just-kids-faqs/ and refer to #3 under Just Kids and Verizon Smart Family, the asterisk at the bottom, specifically. 

0 Likes
graynotgrey66

The issue is not with third-party apps. I already have Google Family Link installed anyway. But the issue was escalated and I was told that I need to acquire a Verizon branded phone because not all services are guaranteed to work on non-Verizon branded phones such as the new unlocked Moto Power G I purchased from Verizon. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely want to ensure that Just Kids is working for you. To confirm, did you still want to move forward with the SIM card option?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

graynotgrey66, did this issue just begin recently? Have you done any troubleshooting steps since this began?

-Joshua

0 Likes
graynotgrey66

Yes, I still wanted to move forward with the SIM card option, but the last message I received was that they wanted to resync the phone when it was back in my possession which would not be until Wednesday. 

0 Likes
graynotgrey66

This issue began from the moment I switched to the Just Kids plan. I uninstalled and reinstalled/reactivated the smart family app. I tested the service from multiple different numbers not on the contact list and all of them got through. Text messages are blocked from numbers not on the trusted contact list as expected. 

0 Likes