Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keeping Unlimited Data Plan?
hmanuel

I want to replace a 2 year old Galaxy s3, which is on an Unlimited LTE data plan, with a new iPhone 6. There are a total of 5 lines on my account. 1- 3G smartphone, 2-4G smartphones limited data plans, 1-4G smartphone UNL'TD data plan, and 1 basic feature phone line. How can i upgrade my galaxy s3 at a discounted price without losing my unlimited data plan?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Plan?
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If any of the smartphones lines with limited data plans are eligible for upgrade, use that upgrade for the iPhone 6.  That will put the contract on the limited data line.  Then activate the iPhone 6 on your unlimited data line.

The basic line can also be used, but with new rules - the data plan will remain for the two years of the contract, regardless of the phone that is activated on the line. 

Unless you use an extraordinary amount of data between all your phones, the More Everything could save you  money, when you add in the per line discounts for lines out of contract ($25 per line with a 10 GB or larger shared data bucket).  And you would gain unlimited minutes and texting for all lines, and the capability to expand to up to 10 devices. 

Or upgrade a different line and keep your unlimited and Nationwide with separate data allowances for reach line - I'm still on the Nationwide and I've priced it out; we break even with three smartphones, I'm not changing anything for now - once we add a fourth smartphone, the More Everything will be a lower monthly bill.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If any of the smartphones lines with limited data plans are eligible for upgrade, use that upgrade for the iPhone 6.  That will put the contract on the limited data line.  Then activate the iPhone 6 on your unlimited data line.

The basic line can also be used, but with new rules - the data plan will remain for the two years of the contract, regardless of the phone that is activated on the line. 

Unless you use an extraordinary amount of data between all your phones, the More Everything could save you  money, when you add in the per line discounts for lines out of contract ($25 per line with a 10 GB or larger shared data bucket).  And you would gain unlimited minutes and texting for all lines, and the capability to expand to up to 10 devices. 

Or upgrade a different line and keep your unlimited and Nationwide with separate data allowances for reach line - I'm still on the Nationwide and I've priced it out; we break even with three smartphones, I'm not changing anything for now - once we add a fourth smartphone, the More Everything will be a lower monthly bill.

0 Likes
Not applicable

SuzyQ wrote:

Of course if any of those other lines were looking forward to an upgrade themselves or just looking forward to not being under contract they would be screwed out of that.

0 Likes
Melissa8191

I tried to do just that and was told that it would be flagged by verizon and the unlimited data removed.  I have 3 Lines, 2 phones that are both defective and are 6 months from an upgrade.  The third phone is a cheap razor we only use for emergencies.  I have...in the past...successfully I might add...used that upgrade for a new 2 year contract and just switched the phone numbers.  I have done that for many years...as I have been a verizon wireless customer many years..and find that at about 1.5 years one of our phones usually dies unexpectantly.  This time when I went to upgrade I was told they "changed" the rules and I will loose the unlimited date.  Then I was told that no matter what I do, unless I pay full price for the phone or buy a used phone aka:  not get the 2 year contact discount..I will lose the unlimited data.  Either it is a new rule...or a rule not previously enforced, but either way I don't see how they can enforce that seeing that I have done it multiple times before without incident.  There own customer service rep told me that sometimes they remove it and sometimes the system doesn't catch it.  That's not good business..and I have played by there rules and kept a 1400 minute plan that I no longer need...just in the name of not losing my unlimited data by changing my plan.  There may be a change of providers in my future if this is the case.