Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Leave Family Plan, Start New Plan, Grandfathered Data
mcid10

Hi all - I am currently an added user to a Verizon Wireless family plan ($9.99) and I have the $30 per month data plan for my Motorola Droid.  I have almost fulfilled my two year contract.  I will be upgrading to a new Android smartphone soon, but I am interested in breaking off of that family plan and starting my own plan.  Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless will grandfather my unlimited data plan into my new account since I am technically an existing customer.  I'll actually be giving Verizon a few more dollars per month by breaking off on my own, but I'm not sure if they can override the 2GB limit if they are creating a new account.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Leave Family Plan, Start New Plan, Grandfathered Data
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

@mcid10

Great news yes you can keep your unlimited data feature when you start your own line. Its called an Assumption of Liability.

In fact, an Assumption of Liability (AOL) can be completed by phone and it takes just a few minutes. Simply have the account owner call 1-800-922-0204 and have our customer service representative notate authorization for the AOL including the name of the person assuming liability for the number or numbers to be transferred. Then have the person assuming the number call the 800  number and our AOL team will complete the transaction.

Thank you

0 Likes