Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiFi is useless, waste of money
dysfunkshun

So, after dealing with my slow 1.5mps dsl service for a year, after trying clear and their useless service, I looked into MiFi since I recently switched to Verizon.  I used the data calculator on the website and overestimated all my usage for 250 webpages and 4 hours of video gaming a day.  In reality, I only view 10-20 websites and am closer to 4 hours a month of video games.  I called in to speak with a rep about the service to verify I was reading everything right and I would be well under the 5gb a month package, which he confirmed multiple times.  I went ahead and purchased the MiFi and will say, I loved the 15+mbps service!  Long story short, I get my bill 3 weeks later to find a $300 bill for going 30gb over!  Of course, outside the 14 days to return window!  I spoke to customer service who confirmed this is not the device or service for me, but I have to pay for it for 2 years since its outside the 14 day return window, even though its been unplugged and sitting back in the bag for almost a week.  So now, I get to pay $50 a month for a useless little box, or either sell it to some other poor schlub to take over my contract or only visit 1 website a day to keep it under the 5gb limit.  They lure you in with false pretenses about how it can handle so much, then wait til youre outside your return window to slam on the overages or hit you with the $175 cancellation fee and a $100 worthless modem.  Yeah, my dsl is slow, but at least theyre honest and arent out to buttrape their customers.  Just as I was singing the praise of verizon after switching my cell service, now im back to hating their lying and "tell you what you want to hear, just hand over your wallet" attitude.  

If youre thinking of getting a mifi, DONT!  Unless you enjoy throwing money away....

0 Likes
Re: MiFi is useless, waste of money
spottedcatfish

You might better say "If you're thinking of replacing your current unlimited internet service with a limited service like Verizon broadband through the MiFi, you should monitor your usage for a few months and make sure that a plan you can afford will work for you."

Visiting 30 web pages over the course of the month will not use 5GB of data, unless you're visiting some really impressive web pages.  Video and audio streaming, downloads of files, program updates, etc are what take up the majority of your data use.  If you have Windows and a few games that need patching once a month, that can easily exceed 5GB before you do anything else on the web.

Personally, I'd turn all of my auto-updates to manual, download a program to monitor my usage and then use the MiFi when I want browsing speed, leaving the DSL connection to deal with large downloads and program updates overnight.

Also, you have the option of paying an ETF to end your contract.  That will certainly be less expensive than letting it sit unused in a corner for the next 23 months.

0 Likes
Not applicable
A 5 GB data plan is not going to be near enough for anyone except a very light user. I think most users would need 20 GB or more. Verizon mobile broadband is not intended to replace your unlimited "at home" internet provider.
0 Likes
dysfunkshun

Had I known that and not been assured bt VZW customer service that it COULD replace my home internet, I never would have bought it in the first place.  ANd that is my main problem, the fact that verizons reps can outright lie to a customer to get their money, then offer no other solution other than paying more money.

0 Likes
dimap
Novice

Yep that's the way it works. It's called BUSINESS. Stinks huh?

0 Likes