Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misinformed by Verizon rep--lost my unltd data! Anyone else? (Any recourse besides BBB?)
Lisa-Lynn

In January I decided to order a Verizon Jetpack. I'd had the unlimited family plan for several years and had added it to our third line before it was discontinued.

The rep told me that I had to switch to the new nationwide shared data plan to add a new line. This effectively doubled my bill, from $105 to $210 ($20 of which is the Jetpack). I had been paying about $75 for 1400 minutes through my employer discount, then $9.99 per line for 3 lines.

I had no idea this was misinformation until about a month ago, when I mentioned it to a Verizon store rep. It turns out that this wasn't the case at all--I could have added a separate account for the Jetpack and kept my unlimited data; however, the sales reps get a commission for converting customers to the new plan, so it benefits them to mention that option to the customer.

Because Verizon has locked even the option to restore unlimited out of their system, I seem to be out of luck, despite the fact that it is no fault of my own that I lost the unlimited. (Who would choose to go from unlimited, $105 a month to limited, $210 a month, seriously)? Verizon store reps and phone customer service reps have all been extremely sympathetic and helpful, confirming that this was inappropriate on the part of the initial sales rep, but none of them have the authority to roll back my account to its former state.

There has to be someone at Verizon who cares enough about long-time customers to help me get this back. Please? I have attached the original order showing my then-current plan and new plan. I have the telesales rep's employee number as well.

Thanks!

Lisa loved (un)limited...

PS: We're not data hogs by any means, it was just nice not to have to pay by the GB and never worry about overages.

>> attachment removed (it contained personal information) <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Misinformed by Verizon rep--lost my unltd data! Anyone else? (Any recourse besides BBB?)
Intocable
Novice

sadly there is nothing you can do. VZW reps lie distort and hide information from the average ignorant consumer. they get kickbacks and perks for every schmuck they deceived into giving up their unlimited data plan.

its like that in every industry. you cant even trust doctors these days . they are owned by the mega pharmaceutical/health insurance corps.

the only recourse is to cancel all lines out of principle.

0 Likes
Re: Misinformed by Verizon rep--lost my unltd data! Anyone else? (Any recourse besides BBB?)
Not applicable

I think you could have reversed your change for up to 14 days, but not now.

0 Likes
Lisa-Lynn

Thanks. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until several months had passed. Just seems wrong that Verizon allows this, but appreciate the feedback from both of you.

Virtually any other provider means a change in phones, as all of them told me they require their own (at least with iPhones), and I'm happy with Verizon service, just very disappointed to be misled like this and not have it fixed.

B33
Sr. Leader

Well Lisa it is Verizon that allows it and i'd bet in a Hand book some were it's probably written when said customer comes in an wants to make changes & has an Unlimited plan try and talk the good faith and move them out of it.. Unless the customer knows the Game plan.. In some instances though changing the plan is better for the Customer as it can save them money the first month might be a little rough until the adjustment go into place but it might be the best fit..  Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Intocable wrote:

VZW reps lie distort and hide information from the average ignorant consumer. they get kickbacks and perks for every schmuck they deceived into giving up their unlimited data plan.

I find it kind of insulting when people use a blanket statement such as this calling everyone who gives up unlimited data a "schmuck". First of all, not everyone is "deceived" into giving up unlimited data. Some people actually do a bit of research and come to a conclusion that unlimited data is not needed OR cost effective for their needs/wants. To keep it in these cases would make someone as much of a "schmuck" as someone who made a decision to give up unlimited data without first determining whether or not they actually needed it.

You are correct in that it is not the smartest thing to give up unlimited data if it is in your best interest cost-wise, but it is NOT that smart to be paying for unlimited data IF you have no need for it and you can get the service you need AT A LOWER PRICE if you give up unlimited data.

Not everyone has the same needs and/or data usage habits, although some "schmucks", as you so eloquently put it, seem to think so.

Seaday

Hi - Same boat we're in. Details a little different but UnLimited Data down the drain (I remember the delighted smirk on the Sales Rep.'s face - I should have stopped everything then and there. Now on 2 GB for twice the $$$, monthly bill was $76, now $146.47.

Just suspended 2 lines of service to get my bill down.

Anyone want to take over a line of service? You can port your own number over. One is a Jet Pack, the other is a "Home Line Service". They can be used as cellphone lines instead.

0 Likes