Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Multiple Device Data Plans. When?
Fullboat

When is Verizon going step up and offer data plans that can support and be shared across multiple devices?  It's tiring and gets expensive to have a separate contract for each device.  I feel like this needs to happen sooner rather than later given the average customer is soon to have more than one device, if they don't already.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple Device Data Plans. When?
spottedcatfish

Some day.  Maybe.  Honestly, your guess is as good as anyones, and Verizon is making quite a bit of money off the current structure.  I'd say they have very little incentive to change what they're doing before they have their 4G network fully operational in a couple years.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Never. Why should they?
0 Likes
dimap
Novice

Why should they? Because:

1 It is the moral and ethical thing to do.

2. As a consumer, I would like FAR better value for my wireless dollar than I am gettting now, in either VOICE or DATA.  The simple fact is, I am paying WAY too mucb for voice minitues I never use, and meager data allowances which must be carefully rationed in order not to incur overages.  Thank goodness there's plenty of FREE wi-fi around to compensate and ofload high-usage troughput, at least for now untill carriers get their fingers into controlling cellular-wifi handoffs.

Making data plans shareable across multiple devices (at reasonable cost) would alleviate these issues. I don't like being "cattle driven" into more expensive data packsages for every device i have that can access the cell network when voice service is too expensive as it is, and the price point i find affordable is an intentionally designed poor value for dollar in order to fascilitate the cattle drive to higher priced plans.

The carriers have all but totally RUINED the embedded 3G market with these rediculous per-device plans. If Verizon et al had implented resonably-priced multiple device plans 2 years ago we would be seeing 3G and 4G radios inevery device under the sun by now. Tablets, netbooks, laptops, wristwatches, cars, all of it, and the  usb modem would be history and the hot spot routers never invented since there would be no need to share only one line of service. But no, drive up those ARPUs and stock prices. Make the invetors happy, that's all that counts.  POOH!!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
1 - I can't think of any reason why this would be moral OR ethical. Saving you money does not make something moral or ethical.

2 - Don't we all. If you are paying too much for minutes you don't use, lower your plan. If you are routinely close to exceeding a 2GB allowance, then you are NOT carefully rationing your data. I am constantly browsing/downloading/updating/emailing and I don't come close to exceeding 2GB.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:
1 - I can't think of any reason why this would be moral OR ethical. Saving you money does not make something moral or ethical.

2 - Don't we all. If you are paying too much for minutes you don't use, lower your plan. If you are routinely close to exceeding a 2GB allowance, then you are NOT carefully rationing your data. I am constantly browsing/downloading/updating/emailing and I don't come close to exceeding 2GB.
I chew through data like Mad Hatter drinking tea...
My job requires me to download and upload large files on a daily to weekly basis.  I am glad I have the unlimited data plan...  Most months I am sitting just under 3GB, but on those busy months I have pushed closed to 20GB at times.
0 Likes
podstolom

rcschnoor wrote:

1 Saving me money is not moral or ethical? Sure it is. Greed is NEVER moral or ethical. I believe the OWS protesters are trying to make this very point as I write. And they are being beaten and arrested for it.

2 Costs too much, lower my plan? Would love to. But, the carrier doesn't provide one for me to switch to. NOt one for which I "qualify" anyway, though plans with lower voice minutes do exist in the system. Years ago there were $20 50 minute and $30 200 minute plans. Not anhy more. Why? Cattle drive customers into higher price plans.

As for monitoring my data usage, my phone is on the 150 Meg plan, not the 2 Gig one. My broadband card is on the 250 Meg plan. Both terrible value for dollar compared to higher priced data buckets, but because of wi-fi, I can manage, at the price points I find affordable. But again, the poor economical value for what they cost is specifically taylorred to fascilitate the cattle drive. And this I feel is unethical.

But more to the point of the thread, sharing both phone and netbook between one 5 gig data plan would be very nice, and I, like the OP, would very much like to see such plans implemented ASAP.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Of course we would all like to see lower prices for everything we buy. I would much rather see lower prices for health insurance and health care. However, cellphone prices have nothing to do with morals and ethics. It's our American capitalistic system. If you think prices are too high, don't buy the product. That's how the system works.
0 Likes
dimap
Novice

Capitalism "works" for the privilidged few who can "afford" it. More often than not, however, Capitalism is the epitomy of "redistribution of wealth" in the WRONG direction, i.e. from those who have too little money to those who have too much.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

dimap wrote:

Capitalism "works" for the privilidged few who can "afford" it. More often than not, however, Capitalism is the epitomy of "redistribution of wealth" in the WRONG direction, i.e. from those who have too little money to those who have too much.

What's the difference between a $350 tv and a $1800 tv?  The debt people put themselves in because they always want the latest and greatest when they don't really need it.  Often they can't afford it and use their credit cards or money they don't have to get it.  Consumers are the ones putting it in the "wrong" direction.

0 Likes