Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Data Plans
Log

I've read and heard that only 90% of Verizon's customers use over the 2 Gig of data.  Because of this, Verizon got rid of the unlimated data plans and brought in the 2, 5 and 10 gig plans.  I've heard that they did this to make it cheaper for customers that don't use the whole amount. 

This confuses me because the price for 2 Gig is the same as the unlimited plan used to be.  This doesn't save any money and basically hinders everyone else that would use more than 2 Gig of data.

It also makes me laugh whenever a Verizon rep tries to inform me that I would never use over the 2 gig limit.  I've used the data calculator and if someone listens to over 3 hours of music and watches 30 minutes of video a day, they area already over the limit.  My examples might be wrong but if you want to check it go and look at the data calculator.  If they were trying to make it cheaper for low users why did they not just keep the unlimited maybe raise it a little more but make lower options.  I just want someone to explain this to me. I tried talking to a representative and he didn't even answer my question and just talked about the different plans.

0 Likes
Re: New Data Plans
Not applicable
Tiered data pricing is not to make it cheaper for anyone. It's to have people who use more data pay more for it and to increase revenues and profits for Verizon. Nothing wrong with that since they are a "for profit" company. The law of supply and demand prevails.
0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Novice

I mean.. 29.99 for unlimited compared to 30...

why would you even argue this is cheaper? you make no sene.

try using more wifi if you are having a problem staying under data cap

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Log wrote:

I've read and heard that only 90% of Verizon's customers use over the 2 Gig of data.  Because of this, Verizon got rid of the unlimated data plans and brought in the 2, 5 and 10 gig plans.  I've heard that they did this to make it cheaper for customers that don't use the whole amount. Actually, 95% of Verizon customers use UNDER 2GB of data per month.

This confuses me because the price for 2 Gig is the same as the unlimited plan used to be.  This doesn't save any money and basically hinders everyone else that would use more than 2 Gig of data. This will save people money because they decided to RAISE their prices just for the people that us a lot of data instead of RAISING their prices for EVERYONE.

It also makes me laugh whenever a Verizon rep tries to inform me that I would never use over the 2 gig limit.  I've used the data calculator and if someone listens to over 3 hours of music and watches 30 minutes of video a day, they area already over the limit.  Yes, I do listen to music sometimes. We do it differently, though, as I listen to the music I have put on my phone as MP3s. If you CHOOSE to stream the music and weren't grandfathered into unlimited data, well that is a choice YOU have made, knowing that you do not have unlimited data. People make it sound as if music streaming is the ONLY way that there is to listen to music. If your music is THAT important to you, put it on your phone and listen to it. NO ADDITIONAL DATA CHARGES, imagine that! There are other options to music streaming. If you don't have unlimited data and CHOOSE the most expensive route, then, yes you will pay more. My examples might be wrong but if you want to check it go and look at the data calculator.  If they were trying to make it cheaper for low users why did they not just keep the unlimited maybe raise it a little more but make lower options.  I just want someone to explain this to me. I tried talking to a representative and he didn't even answer my question and just talked about the different plans.

0 Likes
andy13

to be honest i have been pretty upset with  the whole change in  the data plans.. one problem is like someone else said they kept the same price as the unlimited and only give us 2 gigs, that averages out to be $15 per gig , the next plan up  the 5gb averages out  to be $10 per gig and the 10 gig plan averages out to be $8 dollars per gig.. What i think is very sad is the lack of interest on being competive with the prices of other companies. the other companies that dont have unlimited plans charge  $6 per gig and when they bundle them with unlimited calling and text the price drops to $4 per gig.  for instance they charge $30 for 5gb while verizon wireless charges $50. what i think would be best is to just charge $6 per gig and have a minimum of 2gb requirement for $12 but allow customers to select from 2 to 10 gbs as they desire and charge a flat rate of $6 per gig. this way if someone wants 3 gigs they pay$18. this way everyone has the same price and those that just use 2 gigs wont be charged more per gig than those that use 10.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

andy13 wrote:

to be honest i have been pretty upset with  the whole change in  the data plans.. one problem is like someone else said they kept the same price as the unlimited and only give us 2 gigs, that averages out to be $15 per gig , the next plan up  the 5gb averages out  to be $10 per gig and the 10 gig plan averages out to be $8 dollars per gig.. What i think is very sad is the lack of interest on being competive with the prices of other companies. the other companies that dont have unlimited plans charge  $6 per gig and when they bundle them with unlimited calling and text the price drops to $4 per gig.  for instance they charge $30 for 5gb while verizon wireless charges $50. what i think would be best is to just charge $6 per gig and have a minimum of 2gb requirement for $12 but allow customers to select from 2 to 10 gbs as they desire and charge a flat rate of $6 per gig. this way if someone wants 3 gigs they pay$18. this way everyone has the same price and those that just use 2 gigs wont be charged more per gig than those that use 10.

Not all companies have the prices you quote. I believe that Verizon's biggest competitor, ATT, charges you $25 for 2GB. That is a bit more than the prices you have listed and not much less than what Verizon is offering for faster 4G speeds.

0 Likes
andy13

To be honest i would never  go att&t  .The prices i was quoting are from us cellular., for instance they have unlimited voice text and 5 gb of data for $109  but verizonwireless  charges 89 for unlimited voice and text and $50 for the 5gb for a total of $139.. here in virginia and all along the east coast they have excellent coverage and excellent customer service . i was with them for 11 years before i came to verizonwireless, so i know how they compare to verizonwireless.it seems that if verizon truly cared about their customers they would not be arrogant and acutally be competitve and charge a fair price or have kept the unlimited data. What happens to companies that dont care about their customers , take the example of netflix they were one of the best rated online movie and streaming services and they raised their fees up %60 that takes effect this month and now they are rated as one of the worst companies and so many people have been outraged and are leaving. thus this is why most of my friends and i are considering leaving  verizonwireless because of getting rid of the unlimited data plan and lack of fair pricing compared to other companies .  As a mark of good companies  to stay in business the customers should be #1., customers keep businesses in business  without customers thier wouldn't be any companies. look what haappened to the us automakers  that had to be bailed out by the us government., because they built horrible cars and didnt care to make cars that were dependable so this is why  the japanese automakers really flurished in the usa..

it would only be fair to drastically reduce the price of the data plans and truly consider charging $4 to $6 per gig  and not $15. this would attract allot more customers from other carriers and cause verizon to prosper because they chose to put the customer  first.

0 Likes
silver6055

andy13 wrote:

.it seems that if verizon truly cared about their customers they would not be arrogant and acutally be competitve and charge a fair price or have kept the unlimited data. What happens to companies that dont care about their customers , take the example of netflix they were one of the best rated online movie and streaming services and they raised their fees up %60 that takes effect this month and now they are rated as one of the worst companies and so many people have been outraged and are leaving. thus this is why most of my friends and i are considering leaving  verizonwireless because of getting rid of the unlimited data plan and lack of fair pricing compared to other companies .  As a mark of good companies  to stay in business the customers should be #1., customers keep businesses in business  without customers thier wouldn't be any companies. look what haappened to the us automakers  that had to be bailed out by the us government., because they built horrible cars and didnt care to make cars that were dependable so this is why  the japanese automakers really flurished in the usa..

it would only be fair to drastically reduce the price of the data plans and truly consider charging $4 to $6 per gig  and not $15. this would attract allot more customers from other carriers and cause verizon to prosper because they chose to put the customer  first.

These types of posts amuse me (sorry!).  Do you think someone at Verizon says, "You know, I think we should charge $X for .....   Just seems right to me."  and others say "Yeah, go for it."

Clue: they don't!   They use data that they have (e.g. the various costs of doing business, costs of future expansion) and you don't, run their business model, and make decisions as how to maximize profit in the long-term.   Now of course they can be wrong, and then they will change their plans once profits drop because of customers leaving or because costs have gone up.

But the point is that they may actually be in a better position to decide how to run the company for long-term profitibility than someone coming up with numbers without much understanding of the business drivers.  If VzW offered plans where they pay the consumer to use data, say $1,000  per MB, this would certainly put the customer first, and they would get even more customers, but I would guess that that is not a viable business model.   This has the same rigor as your $4-6 per gig, i.e. none at all.

Also, your post that it should be uniform cost per GB: in many commercial transactions this isn't the case at all, generally the more you buy the lower the unit cost.  Why should it be different here?

0 Likes
andy13

so why discriminate against 95% of the customers that never use more than 2 gigs and charge them $15 /gig verses the other 5% that  gets the same gig for $8? why not charge the same for everyone regardless  if you buy 2 or 10 gigs.?

0 Likes
silver6055

andy13 wrote:

so why discriminate against 95% of the customes that never use more than 2 gigs and charge them $15 /gig verses the other 5% that  gets the same gig for $8? why not charge the same for everyone regardless  if you buy 2 or 10 gigs.?

Well, "discriminate" is one way of looking at it, whereas it can just as well be viewed as giving the bigger (=better) customers a break.  So the "real"  price is $15 per GB, but power users who sign up for more get a lower price.   This is EXACTLY the same as the voice plans, the more minutes you agree to buy, the lower the unit cost.

And, as I mentioned, also the same as many many things you buy:  e,g, I purchased smoke detectors on the internet yesterday, every merchant I checked had one price for 1 unit, and then a set of different prices for different quantities.  And.. the more you buy, the lower the unit cost!   Or even groceries where the same product comes in different sizes, generally the bigger packets have the lower unit cost.  Have you really not experienced this?  Why do Proctor and Gamble discriminate against the user who only wants a small packet of Tide?

0 Likes