Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New plan(s) bad for me ?
VZW_consumer

The new share everything plans are offering less service for more of my money.  Below are my currents costs & services vs what the new plan.

I have a total of 4 lines, (2) smart phones and (2) basic phones which cost's $180/mo. on my current/old plan.

- $80 per month for talk/txt (700 min / unlimited txt).

- $10 per month for each basic phone (no data)

- $40 per month for each smart phone (unlimited data)

-vs-

The new share everything plan will cost me $220/mo.  That's $40 more per month than my current plan.

- $80 per month for the unlimited txt/call & 6GB package (This based on average data usage of 3Gb/mo of data use on each smart phone)

- $30 per month for each basic phone

- $40 per month for each smart phone

The only advantage of upgrading to the new plan would be for subsidized phone pricing, in which case would cost me nothing since I would likely choose the no-cost phones.  In the end this is going to cost me an extra $40/mo. for a 24 month contract wich totals $960.  Another option:  Instead of giving $960 to verizon, I could use that to purchase used or new phones (as needed) from some place other than verizon, and keep my current/old plan.

These phone plan prices are getting crazy, which is leading me to think seriously of other alternatives.

One that keeps coming to mind is eliminating verizon and getting prepaid phones with pay as you go minutes.  The idea is to use them as PHONES and nothing else.  This would save me a bundle of money.  I'm thinking of vacations, dinner with friends (on me), a new car.

It's beginning to dawn on me that verizons new plans are a blessing in diguise...

0 Likes
Re: New plan(s) bad for me ?
commonsense101

You dont have to change to that plan, you can go with tiered data

0 Likes
Not applicable

The basic line charges is what I think gets most people. It really should be lower but I think Verizon keep that higher as to move people to smartphones. Face it moving those 2 basic phones to smartphones would be $60 more on the old pricing. baecause you have to get a minimum $30 data plan making your bill $240. With the new plan it would only be $20 more or $240.

0 Likes
VZW_consumer

commonsense101,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are yor refering to when you say tiered data ?  Are you referring to a pay as you go plan?

0 Likes
VZW_consumer

Brian68,

I agree the basic line charge is what is making it worse for those that just want a phone (dumb phone).

Your reasoning that it will only cost an additional $20 is not quite the way I see it.  You are forgetting that additional data will be needed for the phones.  In other words I would need to up the data to 9-10GB.  That's an additional $10-20 per month.  So I would be going from $180/mo to $260/mo for total of $1920 over a 24 mo period.  Not to mention I would likely be paying a considerable amount for the phones as the dicounted price goes down significantly as you add lines.  That being the case, factor in another $500 or so bringing the total extra cost at $2420.

When you do the math the absurdity of the pricing becomes more clear.

Ann154
Expert
Expert

VZW_consumer wrote:

commonsense101,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are yor refering to when you say tiered data ?  Are you referring to a pay as you go plan?

You don't have to switch to the Share Everything plans. You can keep your current plan except for the unlimited data plan. You must select from the tiered data plans starting at 2 GB for $30 per month introduced last year.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jacobweber2000

Just a general warning, if you upgrade and pay for a discounted phone and sign a new 2 year agreement, they will screw you over royally by making you change your plans. You will either have to change to the tiered plans (which suck) or the new EVERYTHING DATA plans that suck even more.  The only option that you have is paying full retail price for the phone which could be anything from $200-$700.  Personally, if I were you , I'd write a letter to VZW corporate, and then a complaint to the FTC/FCC/State public utility commision.

0 Likes
commonsense101

You are confusing two different changes

Change one : If you upgrade at a subsidzed rate and you can no longer keep unlimited data

Change two: verizon launched a share everything nationwide calling plan

0 Likes
VZW_consumer

Let me get this straight.  I don't have to purchase a "share everything" plan in order to get subsidized pricing on all (4) phones?  Please bear with me.  I can't seem to get a straight answer from Verizon so I'm hoping you or others can help.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Correct, but you will lose the unlimited data plans and you have to pick 2GB or greater tiered plans in place.  The "NEW" customers have no choice but the shared plans.

0 Likes