Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
No early upgrade offers when a new iPhone comes out?
ignignoktander

I've been with Verizon for 12 years. I am 3 months away from an upgrade and cannot renew a 24 month contract 3 months early? If I have to wait until my contract is up, then I'm just going to take that opportunity to switch to another wireless provider who gives me the same plan for $30 less a month. I'm not otherwise unhappy with the Verizon service, but it is just the principal of the thing to me. I am also not interested in Verizon Edge, or paying over a thousand dollars for an iPhone 6 Plus 64gb phone.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: No early upgrade offers when a new iPhone comes out?
jamesbiz

Well that answers that. I could have sworn I saw an early upgrade on my account, and it magically disappeared.

0 Likes
gurase
Novice

Verizon lets you purchase a phone at a discount in exchange for committing to a 2 year contract. You are not holding up your end of the contract if you try to upgrade at a discount before 2 years is up. The only ways to get a new phone in less than 2 years are Edge or full retail price.

Now, I don't think it makes much financial sense to pay full retail on Verizon on many of their plans. But then you are stuck waiting a full 2 years to get a discounted phone. If you want to upgrade when you want AND save money, I think your best option is to change carriers.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, I can understand the "principle" of wanting to leave a carrier which holds me to a contract I signed. What about the "principle" that if you accept an incentive, you fulfill the terms of that incentive before asking for another one??? I guess SOME principles are just more important than others, especially when the one you want to ignore is not in your favor. It is always about "the other guy" living up to their end of a bargain, as long as I don't have to do so.

0 Likes
ignignoktander

I'm pretty sure phones are set at a higher retail price to give you that amazing discount, but still tax you on $1000. Just like when you go into your local clothing store and score that $100 shirt for $40! WOW! How do these people stay in business!? Except, they tax you on $40, not $100. I would bet the discount is more the little to no profit cost of the phone. If you think verizon paid $1000 for that phone and are just being nice and selling it to us for $500 to sign up for a two year contract... you are crazy.

Anyway, I never said they should just let me break my contract early because a new phone came out. But they should have an option to let you renew early. Why can't I just renew another 24 months + my remaining months? It is the same thing on their end, and my end, and I do not have to wait 3 months for no reason at all.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

ignignoktander wrote:

I'm pretty sure phones are set at a higher retail price to give you that amazing discount, but still tax you on $1000.

This depends SOLELY on the state in which you live. Some states tax you on the full retail cost while others tax you only on the amount you pay for the phone. This has nothing to do with Verizon.

ignignoktander wrote:

Just like when you go into your local clothing store and score that $100 shirt for $40! WOW! How do these people stay in business!? Except, they tax you on $40, not $100. I would bet the discount is more the little to no profit cost of the phone. If you think verizon paid $1000 for that phone and are just being nice and selling it to us for $500 to sign up for a two year contract... you are crazy.

I have NEVER said Verizon pays full retail cost for the phones they sell at a discount, but they pay more than the discounted price you get when signing a contract and probably by quite a bit. I don't think Apple is going to give Verizon a 65%-75% discount on the phone when they can sell those same phones in Apple stores at a MUCH higher amount. Apple is not that generous. If there were not a cost to Verizon to discount the phone so much, there would not be a need to lock you into a 24 month contract when giving you a discount.

ignignoktander wrote:

Anyway, I never said they should just let me break my contract early because a new phone came out. But they should have an option to let you renew early.

They will let you upgrade AT ANY TIME by paying full retail cost, you simply don't like the cost.

ignignoktander wrote:

Why can't I just renew another 24 months + my remaining months? It is the same thing on their end, and my end, and I do not have to wait 3 months for no reason at all.

Because then Verizon will have MANY customers who are locked into 10+ year contracts with ETF's in the thousands of dollars. Just look at THIS post to see the simple math for that scenario. Not sure how THAT would be in Verizon's interest.

0 Likes
gurase
Novice

Because odds are (as you've already shown by wanting to upgrade before 24 months) you'll want to upgrade before 27 months. You can't keep putting off your own contractual obligations.

State laws determine whether you pay sales tax on the full retail price or the subsidized price of the phone, not Verizon. Each state is different.

Since you seem to have an issue fulfilling contracts, you should really consider going off contract. You already have to pay tax on the full retail price of the phone in your state, so that amount won't change. Once you find the right plan/carrier, the price difference won't be all that much (you might even pay less), and you can upgrade whenever you want.

0 Likes
hookbill

Now that's an interesting theory.  You might have some merit to all that.  Your next bet is jumping companies and having them pay off your contract.  I think the problem with that is that you end up paying full price on a new phone and get put in prepaid area where you are barely considered a customer.  Sprint has something for the iPhone 6 right now that looks pretty good, but keep in mind coverage from the other top 3 carriers is not very good.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Coverage from Sprint & T-Mobile is not that good.

AT&T has almost the same coverage as Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes