Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Old America choice 400 on open Iphone
Xphone

I know verizon requires to upgrade to a nationwide plan and obtain data plan if you want to upgrade to a smart phone. What if I buy an open I phone and want to transfer my old America Choice 400 plan (that comes with free canada calls )  to it w/o any data plan etc?

Is this possible ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Old America choice 400 on open Iphone
spottedcatfish

Xphone wrote:

Apple is now selling unlocked (or open as I had  put it)  iphones (you are right they work with GSM only). So this means it wont work with verizon?

Thank you for the info

You are correct, the GSM version of the iPhone is not compatible with Verizon.  It has to be activated on a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert
What do you mean by an open iPhone? If you are thinking about an unlocked iPhone, those are talking about the GSM model of the iPhone. Verizon Wireless uses a CDMA technology for their phones and a GSM phone WILL NOT work on Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Leader

Xphone wrote:

I know verizon requires to upgrade to a nationwide plan and obtain data plan if you want to upgrade to a smart phone. What if I buy an open I phone and want to transfer my old America Choice 400 plan (that comes with free canada calls )  to it w/o any data plan etc?

Is this possible ?

you can buy the phone anywhere you want

when you activate it you will be forced to get a dataplan

and most likley forced to change to a current calling plan

some older plans are not compatible with current phones

0 Likes
Xphone

Apple is now selling unlocked (or open as I had  put it)  iphones (you are right they work with GSM only). So this means it wont work with verizon?

Thank you for the info

0 Likes
spottedcatfish

Xphone wrote:

Thank you for the info

You are correct, the GSM version of the iPhone is not compatible with Verizon.  It has to be activated on a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Xphone,

I understand you concern regarding a potential price plan change.  I would like to review your account specifically before making a recommendation because you may not have to change your plan.  Additionally, if upgrading requires a plan change, in most cases our Nationwide plan cost may be very similar to your current pricing.  Please PM with your wireless number.  I look forward to hearing form you soon.

Thank you for your contribution to our community forums,

0 Likes