Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phone replacement affect plan?
patman541

I have an LG Chocolate Touch with a dead touch screen. I got it before a data plan was required. My 2 year plan ends in May 2013.

Can I buy any kind of used smart phone to replace it without affecting the end date of my plan or mus I buy a used LG Chocolate Touch?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Phone replacement affect plan?
ashtontr

If you replaced the touch with another touch, you will not need a data package, however, if you go to a smartphone, you will at least need the thirty dollar 2gb data package. Any basic phone can opt out of internet. However, if you do find a replacement for it, make sure customer service deletes it because it automatically adds in the system, you just need to request to remove it. I've done it myself quite a few times.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

You can buy any smartphone, but in most cases you'll have to get a data plan. Only really old smartphones, multi-media phones and basic phones do not require a data plan.

0 Likes
patman541

Thanks Lewisr13.

So, if I get an old smart phone like the Chocolate Touch, I won't have to get a data plan it seems.

If I do that, will that change the termination date for the contract or would that also not be affected?

0 Likes
ashtontr

If you replaced the touch with another touch, you will not need a data package, however, if you go to a smartphone, you will at least need the thirty dollar 2gb data package. Any basic phone can opt out of internet. However, if you do find a replacement for it, make sure customer service deletes it because it automatically adds in the system, you just need to request to remove it. I've done it myself quite a few times.

0 Likes
patman541

Thanks Ashton.

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just make sure I get another Chocolate Touch.

lewisr13
Leader

The Chocolate Touch was actually a "Multi-media" phone not a smartphone. They are a few phones that are formally known as a "multi-media" phone. These do not need a data plan, but you cannot activate it without one, you then need to call Verizon and have it removed as Ashton explained. We have the Env Touch, Samsung Rogue and the Kin2.