Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Plain Language Please
Nukedaddy

Ok, I may be a bit of a Luddite, but I want maximum usage from my phone and plan. Can I use my BBerry 9330 to access the web by 3G using a laptop without additional charges?

My plan has unlimited data, but I get conflicting info.

What is the difference in taking "unlimited" data on the Blackberry and taking data "through" the Blackberry with a usb cord to my laptop?

Does accessing the data this way cause additional charges or limits to data? I mean, does my plan have unlimited data or just unlimited data if I only take it on the phone?

Do the newer phones with integrated WiFi hotspots have to pay additional fees to allow wireless access to the web through the phone? Are there download limits?

What would be the optimum plan to have both phone and unlimited data service regardless to whether I get the data on the phone or a connected laptop?

Or is it more a hardware issue and I need a tablet with a phone built in?

Is there any way to do this without another $30/month?

0 Likes
Re: Plain Language Please
spottedcatfish

Nukedaddy wrote:

Ok, I may be a bit of a Luddite, but I want maximum usage from my phone and plan. Can I use my BBerry 9330 to access the web by 3G using a laptop without additional charges?

My plan has unlimited data, but I get conflicting info.

What is the difference in taking "unlimited" data on the Blackberry and taking data "through" the Blackberry with a usb cord to my laptop? If you are accesing the internet on a device other than your phone (like your computer through a USB or WiFi connection), this is called tethering, and Verizon considers that to be a seperate service.

Does accessing the data this way cause additional charges or limits to data? You need a data package that supports tethering.  I don't know if you can add the hotspot feature to the grandfathered unlimited data plans, but you should call and ask.  In the past, I believe it was $20/month extra for 2GB of tethered access. I mean, does my plan have unlimited data or just unlimited data if I only take it on the phone? You only have unlimited data on your phone according to the terms of your plan.

Do the newer phones with integrated WiFi hotspots have to pay additional fees to allow wireless access to the web through the phone?  Yes. Are there download limits? Unless you have a grandfathered 4G unlimited data plan with the unlimited 4G hotspot, yes, you have to use the tiered plans.

What would be the optimum plan to have both phone and unlimited data service regardless to whether I get the data on the phone or a connected laptop? The only time Verizon offered this was with 4G phones on the now discontinued unlimited data plan.  I don't think you could ever get it on 3G phones, and I'm not sure if you can still get it.  All of Verizon's other tethering plans have always been limited.

Or is it more a hardware issue and I need a tablet with a phone built in? Getting a tablet with a 3G radio means you would need a seperate data plan for that tablet.

Is there any way to do this without another $30/month? I believe the smallest data plan for a tablet is $20/month, and that the lowest tiered plan with tethering is $50/month.  But regardless, if you want to add the tethering feature, or get a data device (like a 3G tablet, or a MiFi) you'll be paying more in monthly service fees.

0 Likes
Nukedaddy
Spoiler

Thanks, Spotted Catfish, an answer easily comprehended.

Do you know if there are any tablets that would run the unlimited data 3G AND serve as my cellphone? (Keep it in my jacket pocket and answer or make calls to a jawbone?)

0 Likes
spottedcatfish

Tablets don't make phone calls, smartphones do.  Other than the size, that's really what defines them.  The Droid Bionic, HTC Thunderbolt and several other phones have screens over 4" across, which many people (myself included) consider to be a small tablet size rather than a phone (I really find that 4" is the largest I can hold comfortably, and I have average hands).

Only smartphones are going to make calls over the cellular network, and only smartphones will be compatible with your grandfathered unlimited data plan, so I'd reccomend getting a smartphone that's large enough to use easily for you.

0 Likes