Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Porting from Verizon, contract end and billing cycle.
nsp1991

I will be switching out of verizon at the end of my contract. My contract ends on 8/22 and my last billing cycle also ends on 8/22.

There seems to be a lot of confusion online about this. When should I initiate the port to avoid having to pay for an extra billing cycle while not having to pay for the ETF?

The terms say "After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number, but you'll remain responsible for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other cancellation."

I think that means that even if I port the number before the 22nd, the cycle will still run through the 22nd which should satisfy my contract? So I should be fine porting at any point during my last billing cycle right?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Porting from Verizon, contract end and billing cycle.
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

nsp1991 wrote:

hmm.... I hope you're right. Are there any verizon employees on this forum that can confirm?

Did someone call for a Verizon employee?? :smileyhappy:

Thanks to the community for working to answer this question! Let me help as well. Nsp1991, if your Contract End Date occurs on 08/22/11, then you may port your services to the other provider on 08/22/11. Any earlier than that day will cause an Early Termination Fee to be assessed on your account. You're fortunate that your bill cycle date occurs on the 22nd, which allows you the opportunity to disconnect without incurring additional days of service charges. One thing you want to keep in mind is that port requests can take from a few seconds to 24 hours to process. Make sure that you give all the information to the new service provider so that the request can be processed before the end of day.

All that having been said, let me add that I do not wish you to go! They won't love you like we do!! But I'm sure you'll want to find out for yourself. Please come on back to the best network someday! Good luck and thanks for your business!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

You would think that, but no.

The port needs to occur on the 23rd. If you ported early, you would still be hit with an ETF.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I would start your new account around 9/22 or a few days before. Have them port your number from Verizon to them. You'll be with Verizon one more month, but won't risk an ETF if something gets screwed up.
0 Likes
Grothka
Novice
Sorry guys but OP is correct. When a port out goes through the line with VZW is suspended until the end of the current bill cycle or the last day of the contract. So it is something that if you port out somewhere between 07/23-08/22 (in the OP's case) it will suspend until 08/22/11 and then not charge the etf. If it does it can be disputed.
0 Likes
nsp1991

hmm.... I hope you're right. Are there any verizon employees on this forum that can confirm?

0 Likes
Grothka
Novice
There are a few, and they may confirm it for you, but keep in mind that this is a peer to peer forum. The employees on here are moderators and that is their main job... if they do respond it may take them a few days to get in here.
0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

nsp1991 wrote:

Did someone call for a Verizon employee?? :smileyhappy:

Thanks to the community for working to answer this question! Let me help as well. Nsp1991, if your Contract End Date occurs on 08/22/11, then you may port your services to the other provider on 08/22/11. Any earlier than that day will cause an Early Termination Fee to be assessed on your account. You're fortunate that your bill cycle date occurs on the 22nd, which allows you the opportunity to disconnect without incurring additional days of service charges. One thing you want to keep in mind is that port requests can take from a few seconds to 24 hours to process. Make sure that you give all the information to the new service provider so that the request can be processed before the end of day.

All that having been said, let me add that I do not wish you to go! They won't love you like we do!! But I'm sure you'll want to find out for yourself. Please come on back to the best network someday! Good luck and thanks for your business!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes