Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Re: DISSATISFIED WITH NEW DATA REQUIREMENT
OldGezzer

There are two main themes I see in these post - one is that Verizon is somehow doing us a favor by making us purchase a data plan so we won't be surprised by a big data plan bill --- solution, don't enable by default.  If you want data, you sign up for a plan be it the pay as you go plan or the monthly fee plan, you choose or you lose.

The second is the argument of why would anyone want a smart phone without a data plan...  For those of you not smart enough to figure that one out, let me educate you.  Show me a phone today that I can sync my calendar on from Outlook, Keep a copy of my budget spreadsheet on, read a book, play music from my PC library, make my own ringtones for, get weather updates each morning, and yes even play a few games on while waiting at the license branch - that is not a smart phone and I will show you what it is like to have a smart phone that was grandfathered in and uses no data plan or data minutes yet gives me all those features... that yes some day I might want to replace for a bigger screen if Verizon ever decides that I can have such a phone without a data plan or if such a phone exist that is not a smart phone.

Till then I will keep my smart phone that works fine without a data plan and gives me the features I want - I just hope it keeps running until Verizon gets a clue from all the smart people that know how to use a smart phone in a smart manner and trust them to be able to make a smart choice of what they want.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

OldGezzer wrote:

There are two main themes I see in these post - one is that Verizon is somehow doing us a favor by making us purchase a data plan so we won't be surprised by a big data plan bill --- solution, don't enable by default.  If you want data, you sign up for a plan be it the pay as you go plan or the monthly fee plan, you choose or you lose. Yes, but the only reason for them to change would be the public outcry of Verizon's current plans being unfair to the consumer. The problem is that the public outcry is going to be MUCH bigger that Verizon is being unfair to consumers who run up $1000 data bills on the pay as you go plan. If they succumb to the current outcry, what makes you think they won't succumb to the GREATER public outcry of Verizon charging $1000's of dollars to THOSE customers?

The second is the argument of why would anyone want a smart phone without a data plan...  For those of you not smart enough to figure that one out, let me educate you.  Show me a phone today that I can sync my calendar on from Outlook, Keep a copy of my budget spreadsheet on, read a book, play music from my PC library, make my own ringtones for, get weather updates each morning, and yes even play a few games on while waiting at the license branch - that is not a smart phone and I will show you what it is like to have a smart phone that was grandfathered in and uses no data plan or data minutes yet gives me all those features... that yes some day I might want to replace for a bigger screen if Verizon ever decides that I can have such a phone without a data plan or if such a phone exist that is not a smart phone. See argument #1.

Till then I will keep my smart phone that works fine without a data plan and gives me the features I want - I just hope it keeps running until Verizon gets a clue from all the smart people that know how to use a smart phone in a smart manner and trust them to be able to make a smart choice of what they want. Again, see argument #1. Bottom line is that 1) a LOT people are just not smart, 2) a LOT of people think they can just complain and get Verizon to just drop the charges(look at all of the people who already do it), 3) a LOT of people just want to cheat the system, 4) a FEW people can use the phone productively without a data plan. The 1st 3 category greatly outweigh the final category. THIS is why I hope your current phone lasts you a looooooong time, because you will most likely never get another, at least on Verizon. And of course, what Jim said!!!

0 Likes
bigtitan
Novice

I'm not a fan of the price structure of the data plans, and I wish that the market demand for a "smarter" dumb phone was enough to make it happen.  Having said that, I also agree with what jimifitzgerald said.

0 Likes
OldGezzer

But you missed the point of item 1, there is no outcry of being billed $1000 or whatever amount if you are not automatically turned on for data.  Good customer relations is to explain the options of the data plan when you ask for it (stupid user calls and says hey I can't do this or that on my phone -why not.  Well sir, those items require a data plan and this is what it would cost you...)  Better for the stupid to be mad about not having data than being mad about being billed $1000.  If you are going to treat the general public as stupid, don't penalize the smart ones. 

Based on the current methodology, it is almost like a bait and switch.  Ooo look at this phone, see how much it can do, sign up for just a few dollars a month and you can have one, oh sorry you can not have that phone unless you buy a data plan, what's that you say - you don't want data... oh well, you can't have this phone, lets go to the back of the warehouse and see what we can dig out for you.  Really!  Sorry Verizon, I am not one of the stupid ones - and I don't like being treated as stupid.

And sorry, this is no answer to my second point except the stubbornness of Verizon to succumb to the outcry of the smart folks and implement the no default data option of my first point and actually do a bit of customer service and sales and a little less marketing and fleecing of the stupid ones.  So the real bottom line is Verizon and others need to approach it appropriately, and not give in to the whiners that are stupid or just trying to cheat the system, and not have salesmen that give dishonest answers about the phones features and requirements.  Sell your product appropriately, and you will still get lots of customers that will gladly pay for the data plan.  If you want to deep discount your smart phones, make the rebate part of the data plan purchase.  I would just soon buy a smart phone for $500 and not have a data plan and use it for quite a few more years and enjoy it's features than pay $720 for just two years of data plan that I don't need or want.

And yes, like the comment below, give me a smart enough phone to do what I want to do without a data plan, and I will buy it... so even if the possibility of Verizon to treat their smart consumers as smart does not exist- could they maybe at least work with the phone manufacturers to throw us a good bone with a better phone. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Maybe you should buy a wifi only ipod or android player and keep a basic phone for phone calls and texting.  The data requirements are not going to change now.  They have been a requirement for smartphones for several years now.  At the rate the trends seem to be going soon everything will be on data and we wouldn't need voice or text message plans.  As it is now I barely use my voice and text feature.  My data usage has gone up instead.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes