Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Early Termination
Droid4

What early termination fee for ? for just having a plan or for getting a new device?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Not applicable

The ETF is for breaking your contract before the 24 months is up.  You sign a new contract when you get a new line of service or upgrade your device and receive a discounted price.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

The ETF is for breaking your contract before the 24 months is up.  You sign a new contract when you get a new line of service or upgrade your device and receive a discounted price.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Droid4!

Good question!  jimfitzgerald gave a good description of the Early Termination Fee; it's a fee that is charged if a customer cancels service early or if Verizon Wireless terminates their service for good cause.  The Early Termination Fee can vary depending on the device purchased and length of contract completed at time of termination.  I am curious as to your questions about the Early Termination Fee; do you have questions or concerns regarding your device or service?  I want to ensure we provide you the BEST service possible.

Thanks for being a part of the Verizon Wireless Family!

AnthonyTa_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chadedge

To whomever it may concern,

I have a Droid X currently and I have a round about of 5 months left on a Family Contract. So the question would be, how much would the ETF cost in an ideal range with the above information given? And yes, my friend and I are on a family with individual contracts on phones.

Thanks, Chad

0 Likes
silver6056

The ETF for a smartphone (such as the droid X) is $350 - 10*(number of months already filled on contract)

So if you have 5 months left, that means you have been in contract around 19 months, so the ETF is $350-190 = $160

Note that the *minimum* non-zero EFT is a hefty $120 (350 - 23*10)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello Chadedge,

We don’t get many inquiries as to how early termination fees are generated and calculated. Most customers are so happy with their service that questions about leaving is, well, out of the question! Based on your posting, may I ask are you considering leaving us? If so then may I ask what is the reason for wanting to leave? In many cases, we have options available that can enhance your wireless experience. I would like to partner with you so we can explore ALL options and see which one is best for you!

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hello Chadedge,

We don’t get many inquiries as to how early termination fees are generated and calculated.

Are you new to the forum?

Rubystar

Anthony -- If that were the case (that you want to offer such tremendous service) then Verizon would be looking at people's requests to waive the fees.  In my circumstance, I don't want to close the account necessarily -- or at least i didn't.  I've had the account for some time and also have FiOS.  I just want to drop lines I'm no longer using.  And, I'd like to drop the one that the salesperson at the store neglected to tell me all of the gorey details about.  Let's face it Red, we're broke -- it wouldn't kill ya' to make some exceptions.  And, please don't say you "can't" -- you make the rules so you can certainly bend and/or break them if you choose.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Rubystar wrote:

Anthony -- If that were the case (that you want to offer such tremendous service) then Verizon would be looking at people's requests to waive the fees.  In my circumstance, I don't want to close the account necessarily -- or at least i didn't.  I've had the account for some time and also have FiOS.  I just want to drop lines I'm no longer using.  And, I'd like to drop the one that the salesperson at the store neglected to tell me all of the gorey details about.  Let's face it Red, we're broke -- it wouldn't kill ya' to make some exceptions.  And, please don't say you "can't" -- you make the rules so you can certainly bend and/or break them if you choose.

You signed a contract. That contract stated you would be customer for 24 months an if didn't you get charged a ETF and the ETF was spelled out what it would be. Now you want Verizon to break the rules in your favor but if they brake the rules in THEIR favor you'd be wanting to sue them for breach of contract.

budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Ruby, the issue with exceptions is they or any company has no idea if the woe is me story is actually true.

In addition, once an exception is made, that policy is worth nothing going forward

0 Likes