Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Won't waive the ETF if moving out of country?
CMries

<Branched to a new discussion.>

So here's my complaint on this....

I understand signing a contract and my responsibility for it.  I get it.  But I signed that contract when I planned to use the phone in the united states when I was employed here.  I didn't expect we'd have a crappy economy that would require me to look OUTSIDE our country for a job and then actually FIND a job to go to outside of the country.

So I call and asked them....just like the person who started this post.

They tell me for my 2 phones it would cost me $360 to buy out my contracts on the 2 phones I have.  That doesn't seem too bad.  fine.

BUT here's where they <Delete per ToS>.

If you don't buy out your contract, you are stuck with a useless phone.  Ok, it's NOT useless, but it's highway robbery.  I'd get charged $1.99 PER MINUTE if I actually used the phone  I"m also guessing that If I said, "Uh, I don't want the wireless package that goes with my Droid because I CAN'T USE IT" they will say, "Too bad, you still have to pay that $40 a month on that phone until your contract ends, even though you don't use it.

So I asked if they had another plan I could get on instead of having to pay $1.99 a minute in my foreign location so I could continue to fulfill my contract. 

And of course, no other plan available.

It's crap and like others here, I have been a VERY LOYAL customer for over 10, probably 15 years now and this is the thanks I get.  They don't give a crap and believe me if I ever return to the US, I won't be using their services ever again.

Great Customer Relations.  Blackmail is always a great way to do business.

Nice.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

CMries wrote:

I understand signing a contract and my responsibility for it.  I get it.  But I signed that contract when I planned to use the phone in the united states when I was employed here.  I didn't expect we'd have a crappy economy that would require me to look OUTSIDE our country for a job and then actually FIND a job to go to outside of the country.

So I call and asked them....just like the person who started this post.

They tell me for my 2 phones it would cost me $360 to buy out my contracts on the 2 phones I have.  That doesn't seem too bad.  fine.

BUT here's where they <Delete per ToS>.

If you don't buy out your contract, you are stuck with a useless phone.  Ok, it's NOT useless, but it's highway robbery.  I'd get charged $1.99 PER MINUTE if I actually used the phone  I"m also guessing that If I said, "Uh, I don't want the wireless package that goes with my Droid because I CAN'T USE IT" they will say, "Too bad, you still have to pay that $40 a month on that phone until your contract ends, even though you don't use it.

So I asked if they had another plan I could get on instead of having to pay $1.99 a minute in my foreign location so I could continue to fulfill my contract. 

And of course, no other plan available.

It's crap and like others here, I have been a VERY LOYAL customer for over 10, probably 15 years now and this is the thanks I get.  They don't give a crap and believe me if I ever return to the US, I won't be using their services ever again.

Great Customer Relations.  Blackmail is always a great way to do business.

Nice.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

No it's not.  You didn't pay for the phones and Verizon subsidized the devices for you to have them.  It's like a car loan in a sense as the supreme court ruled.  If you don't stick to your agreement or don't buy out the contract you don't own the phone.  The only difference Verizon will charge you the ETF and a bank will just take the car.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

CMries wrote:

I understand signing a contract and my responsibility for it.  I get it. 

Obviously you don't. This is one of the chances you take when signing any kind of a contract. You can't just walk away.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

Your etfs will be waived if you move out of the country. All you need is proof, like a lease agreement, tax document, mortgage agreement, utility bill. Something that proves you are moving to an area where VZW does not provide NON ROAMING SERVICE. If you need help call back and ask for a supervisor. Oh if you are going to school whereever you are going a letter on school or company letterhead from the job will work as well. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

I think you are wrong, mrpearsoy.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

Nope. All you need is proof. Just like if you move somewhere in the US where they provide no service, if you move to an area where roaming they arent the ones that provide service. So therefore, no etf.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

Now would be a wonderful time for another VZW rep to back me up....LOL

0 Likes
silver6056

That used to be the case but I don't think it has been for some time, as, according to VZ, it was too easy to abuse.  Also, not VZs choice that you chose to move, and they need to get back the subsidy for the phone if that applies.

At one stage, service people assigned abroad (so they had no choice either) were treated differently, but not sure if that is still the case either.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

Per contract if they cannot provide you service you have to be let go with no etf....Im gonna look up the customer agreement here shortly. If they have changed that, and the death policy, I can see why sosme would be miffed at them.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Novice

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.

You are now chatting with 'Jayla'

Jayla: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service.  May I help you with your order today?

Chris: I need to know if I have service and move out of the united states if I can cancel with no etf

Jayla: You would have to check this through the customer care department, but since there would probably be no service there, I am sure that you will be able to cancel service.

0 Likes