Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Selling upgrade phone
nichthefish

I can upgrade to a new phone, but I am fine with my current one... so I was planning to buy an upgrade phone, activate it, reactivate my old phone (thus renewing my 2-yr contract) and sell the new phone. Two questions:

1) Will the person I sell it to have to use Verizon?

2) If so, will the person have to start a 2-yr contract or can they use it without a contract (pay-as-you-go)?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Selling upgrade phone
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

nichthefish wrote:

I can upgrade to a new phone, but I am fine with my current one... so I was planning to buy an upgrade phone, activate it, reactivate my old phone (thus renewing my 2-yr contract) and sell the new phone. Two questions:

1) Will the person I sell it to have to use Verizon? Yes

2) If so, will the person have to start a 2-yr contract or can they use it without a contract (pay-as-you-go)? No contract, just month to month. If they are currently in a contract, they will have to finish that out tho, but can still use the new device.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

nichthefish wrote:

1) Will the person I sell it to have to use Verizon? Yes

2) If so, will the person have to start a 2-yr contract or can they use it without a contract (pay-as-you-go)? No contract, just month to month. If they are currently in a contract, they will have to finish that out tho, but can still use the new device.

0 Likes
nichthefish

Thanks! I have another question. When I sell the phone to someone, and he activates, will that be switching my line back to that phone? Or does he have to enter some kind of password or his social security number or something to actiavate it on his line? Basically what I'm asking is...

1. Once I sell the phone, there is no way that phone can get back on my line, right?

2. Do I have to give any information to the person so he will be able to activate it?

0 Likes
GTIMKV
Your phone and your contract line are two different things. A phone has nothing to do with a contract line until it's activated on that line. Once you activated another phone on that line, the old phone is deactivated and is not connected to any contract line. Any Verizon customer can activate a deactivated phone on his line. The phone does not have "memory" and won't have anything to do with the previous line. MEID on the phone itself is all that needed to activate it.
0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks, budone and GTIMKV, for your contributions.

Good evening nichthefish,

You can feel at ease knowing if you sell your device the new owner will not be able to activate it back on your account.  Anytime you attempt to activate a device dialing *228 from it you will be prompted to verify the account of where it will be activated. For your convenience you can always make account changes, including activating a different device, directly from My Verizon.  Thanks for being part of the most reliable network!

0 Likes