Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slow 3G speed in the Washington DC area
EnderFFX

I am currently receiving 0.27 Mbps download and 0.17 Mbps upload during the day.  This has been happening for months and I'm considering dropping Verizon altogether.  Is there any fix to this?  Or is this just the result of being throttled because I'm a high data user on an unlimited data plan?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Slow 3G speed in the Washington DC area
EnderFFX

My speeds are now 0.05 Mbps for download and 0.02 Mbps for upload.  I've tried asking for help on here before with no success.  I mainly use my phone in Germantown MD during the day.  These are pathetic speeds.

0 Likes
EnderFFX

This is what I'm starting to expect from Verizon.  No interest, no answers... I'd really like interaction with a Verizon rep.

0 Likes
EnderFFX

Not one Verizon moderator, or Verizon forum contributor coming to this thread.  I can't say I'm surprised.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

EnderFFX wrote:

Not one Verizon moderator, or Verizon forum contributor coming to this thread.  I can't say I'm surprised.

Well this IS a PEER to PEER customer forum and not a direct link to customer service reps. Not every members reads or responds to every post.

As for your issues, did you search the community for the other discussions on this topic for your location? There are a number of them. Verizon Wireless also recently admitted there are congestion issues in large metropolitan areas like Washington DC and they were addressing it by adding more capacity through the band 4 AWS frequency for LTE data and more towers. Your phone has to capable of using the AWS frequency to use it though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@EnderFFX,

I apologize for the delay in our response. Let's get your phone running faster so you can go back to enjoying our super fast 4G speeds!

What phone do you have? What's the zip code where you seeing the slower speeds? Is this happening only in a certain area or is it happening randomly? Try removing the SIM card for a minute, insert and retest. Keep me posted if the issue persist.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
EnderFFX

Well there is no PEER to VERIZON forum, I've searched all of the forums and the information I found was not very helpful including comments like: Was there a local wifi you could connect to?

Well I'm glad that for service I pay for $160-$180 in the Washington DC area that I have to come to a PEER to PEER forum to find out service in my area is congestive instead of finding out directly from a Verizon represenative.  I find it a little disparaging that the first I've heard about congestion in a major city is from a PEER to PEER forum instead of directly from Verizon.

0 Likes
EnderFFX

3G
Droid X
Zip Code: 20876

The problem is persisting, can you tell me the reason why removing the SIM card for a minute, inserting it and retesting it is supposed work?  I've tried it, and my speeds are up for about 30 seconds and then back to their dismal rates. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57612021-94/verizon-admits-network-faces-traffic-pressure-in-big-ci...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
EnderFFX

So instead of Verizon customers hearing from Verizon about network traffic being an issue, they hear about it from a major news network first?  I'm failing to see how this is better, that a major company would rather allow someone not within the company to announce issues.

0 Likes