Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Sometimes I don't get Verizon's logic
Not applicable

So Verizon claims to be disappointed in Edge adoption rates. The say they prefer everyone be on Edge. Well what do they do? They offer half off smartphones $199 and up but only on phones you get a 2 year contract on. Now isn't this going to do the exact OPPOSITE of what you want? Now do I expect to get a $600 phone for $300? No of course not. But if Verizon is willing to knock $100 off the Droid Turbo or $150 off the Note 4 etc on contract why not do that for people wanting to use Edge or paying full price upfront? Don't complain that you can't get the 50% adoption rates At&t is having with their Next program when you actively encourage people to sign 2 year contracts.

0 Likes
Re: Sometimes I don't get Verizon's logic
zellerandy

The problem with giving a discount on edge phones is the people on the 10 gb plan or higher.  Most phones come out to be 24.99 a month with the 25 dollar discount the phone is basicaly free.    Now if they give a discount on the full retail price the monthly payment would be less than 24.99 so they would basically be paying people to get a new phone is what im guessing is the logic.   They have to offer two year contracts because some peopel just dont liek the idea they are paying "full retail price" for the phone even if it does end up b eing cheaper.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah but if the point of saying offering a Turbo for $200 on contract is that the 2 years pays off the other $400. Then if you offer it for $100 isn't Verizon losing $100 either way?

zellerandy

good point.  But the things about edge is it almost guarentees 2 years from a customer.   Other companys pay of ETFs not phone buyouts.  if a custoemr quits while on edge their buyout is probaly going to be 100 too 700 bucks instead of a 200 etf that another companyt will pay.  i would like to see edge promos though I think your rite that would bring more people over.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Other companies do not pay on Edge plans only ETFs. If you're on a an Edge plan and quit your responsible for the whole amount left.

Also the reason carriers like Edge type plans is the with a contract plan a $600 phone sold for $200 and even including the upgrade fee is considered a $370 loss. So for every 1 million phones sold Verizon has to report a $370 million loss. On Edge plans they can count the entire $600 as a sale upfront. That's a $970 million difference per 1 million phones sold. You think Verizon would be more aggressive pushing Edge.

0 Likes