Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Swap number by porting out and then back to Verizon
GTIMKV

I currently have 4 lines with Verizon on a Family Shared Plan. Line A has a basic phone and is my primary number where I got all the calls, line B and C belong to my family members, and line D is a new line I took over recently under assumption of liability because it has unlimited data feature.

Now, what I really want is to swap my primary number from Line A to Lind D, so that I can use my primary number with the line that has unlimited data. I don’t care if I lose the current number on Line D. However, according to multiple verizon reps, you can not swap phone numbers freely.

It seems that the only way to accomplish this is to first set up Line D as the primary line, then port out Line A to another carriier (for example Page Plus), then port it back in to overwrite the number on Line D. Can someone from Verizon confirm if this is the only way to get my primary number on Line D with the unlimited data? Does it even work? Any restrictions for porting back a number that used to be with Verizon?

By the way Line A is month to month now so I am not worried about ETF.

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Swap number by porting out and then back to Verizon
GTIMKV

jimfitzgerald wrote:
Dion, that doesn't solve his problem. He wants to keep the number that is currently on line A and move THAT number to his smartphone with unlimited data. That's the same situation I am in. I think the only way to do it is wait until the contract expires and then move the number to the desired phone. That's what I am going to do in January.

I appreciate Dion to take time and reply my post, but unfortunately he provided incorrect information. I have just done it and got what I wanted. Obviously, you CAN port your line to another company (say Pageplus) for free, thus canceling the line with Verizon. Then wait until the next billing cycle, and port that number back in to replace existing Verizon number, all for free. No change is made to the account calling plans, features, contract, etc, since it's a simple phone number change. 

It took me 10 mins on the phone with Pageplus CS to port the number from Verizon to Pageplus, 3 days before the end of my billing cycle. Then I waited for 5 days, just to be sure that Verizon had release the number, and called Verizon to request the port in. The porting request was done in 5 mins with automated system, and the port went thru almost instantly. I reprogrammed the phone by dialing *228 and everything works fine. I logged on my Verizon immediately and my number has already been updated. Now I finally have my main number on the line with unlimited data.

The only thing to note is that when you change your phone number, your bill/usage will be prorated if it's your primary line.

View solution in original post

Not applicable
I have what I think is the same or a similiar situation. Almost two years ago, I bought a new Droid on a two year contract with unlimited data, and for some reason, put it on a new phone number. I kept my old phone and old number and connected it to a home docking station. I now want to get rid of the new number and put the Droid on the old number. It is my understanding that as soon as my two year contract expires on the new number (Droid), I can move the Droid to the old number and ditch the new number and the old phone. I think the issue is that your current contracts are tied to a phone number. You cannot get rid of the unneeded phone number until the contract expires. So, I think you can wait until your assumed contract expires and then swap numbers. In the mean time, plug your old phone into a charger and leave it on and forwarded to your new phone on the assumed number. That's what I do and it works well. The only drawback is you're paying $13 per month to keep your old number alive until your assumed contract expires.
0 Likes
GTIMKV

Well, you don't need to power on the phone in order to use call forwarding. That's what I am doing now, forwarding all calls from Line A to Line D. The phone on Line A is powered off.

I'd be really appreciated if a VZW employee could clarify the process of swaping/porting numbers in my case.

0 Likes
Not applicable
I didn't know that. I've had my phone on for the past 20 months and I didn't need to. Thanks. On the other hand, I have it connected to a PhoneLabs docking station, so it gives us the ability to call out on all of our in-house extension phones.
0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

A mighty hello there to GTIMKV and to jimfitzgerald! I’ve just read the original post and want to address your concerns. GTIMKV, the feedback you’ve been given by Verizon Wireless reps regarding your issue has been accurate. You’ll not be able to swap features between active lines on your account. I would also recommend against porting your Line A phone number out of VZW only to port back in with the desire to overwrite the feature settings on Line D. If you do, you’ll find that Line A will resume its original position with its original features when it ports back in. If you want to use the features currently on Line D and Line A is currently out of contract, the way we can help is to disconnect Line A (since it is currently month-to-month) and simply use Line D either as a primary or secondary line on your Family Share plan. You can either continue using the mobile number currently assigned by Line D or change the mobile number currently on Line D to an all new number. I hope this helps!

0 Likes
Not applicable
Dion, that doesn't solve his problem. He wants to keep the number that is currently on line A and move THAT number to his smartphone with unlimited data. That's the same situation I am in. I think the only way to do it is wait until the contract expires and then move the number to the desired phone. That's what I am going to do in January.
0 Likes
GTIMKV

jimfitzgerald wrote:

I appreciate Dion to take time and reply my post, but unfortunately he provided incorrect information. I have just done it and got what I wanted. Obviously, you CAN port your line to another company (say Pageplus) for free, thus canceling the line with Verizon. Then wait until the next billing cycle, and port that number back in to replace existing Verizon number, all for free. No change is made to the account calling plans, features, contract, etc, since it's a simple phone number change. 

It took me 10 mins on the phone with Pageplus CS to port the number from Verizon to Pageplus, 3 days before the end of my billing cycle. Then I waited for 5 days, just to be sure that Verizon had release the number, and called Verizon to request the port in. The porting request was done in 5 mins with automated system, and the port went thru almost instantly. I reprogrammed the phone by dialing *228 and everything works fine. I logged on my Verizon immediately and my number has already been updated. Now I finally have my main number on the line with unlimited data.

The only thing to note is that when you change your phone number, your bill/usage will be prorated if it's your primary line.

DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello again! My apologies. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to accomplish this task!

0 Likes