Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The data usage alerts seem to be a rip off!
larsalt

So, on the 13th I got text messages saying that we used up all data in our plan and that we either sign up for an increased allowance for $10 / month or pay $15 for an additional GB for that period. I almost was tempted to sign up, but then didn't.

Well, we got the bill and turns out we were actually still UNDER our allowance by several hundred MB by the 16th, so on the 13th it would have been even lower.

I think it's a rip off if you send people a note that they used up all their data telling them to reply now to increase their allowance if in reality they're still well below.

0 Likes
Re: The data usage alerts seem to be a rip off!
Snn5
Sr. Leader

What device are you using? 

0 Likes
larsalt

Samsung Note 3

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I use this app.  It does measure all data in and out, and because of that you will see its totals higher than the phone or Verizons data widget count since MMS is data, but doesnt count towards data allotment. It keeps me on track. It has plan and alarm settings to cut off your data when you reach certain thresholds versus Verizon just sending out a text alert, but not disabling data.My Data Manager - Data Usage - Android Apps on Google Play

I typically set 3 alarms:  1 for a daily (Data amount divided by 31 days)

1 for 50% and

1 for 85-90%.

You can always re-enable mobile data if it cuts you off and it will continue to monitor your usage.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

I should also mention that you CAN use the mobile counter built into Android within the Mobile Data settings in your menu if you do not want to use a 3rd party app.  It can also be set similarly to this app, but the stock method is less featured and I find it to be rather unreliable in comparison to what it tallies vs what Vzw says I have used.  The My Data Manager seems pretty close to Verizons count.

0 Likes