Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UPGRADE PHONE AND LOSE UNLIMITED DATA?
LuvTzus

I currently have an unlimited data plan and am eligible for an upgrade.  From everything I've read, I believe I will lose my unlimited data if I go with the discounted upgrade.  If I pay full price for a new phone, can I keep my unlimited data?

Currently, I'm using approximately 1 GB per month.  So, it isn't as if going to a 2 GB plan will put me in a bind.  More than anything, it irks(not the word I really wanted to use) me that after being a loyal customer for ten+ years Verizon feels justified in making me switch. 

I've looked at/compared other companies plans and Verizon's.  I'm seriously considering switching because of this new policy.  I'm sure someone else has had the same problem and was wondering what they did or if anyone could give me some advice?!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: UPGRADE PHONE AND LOSE UNLIMITED DATA?
ahoward9139

I am having the same issues and concerns and have been racking my brain on what to. I however use at least 4gb a month and if I were to pay for the data plan they are suggesting, it would raise my bill an additional $40 a month.

I too would like to know the options for this dilemma. It thoroughly pisses me off they have chosen to not give the customers a heads up on the new contract changes and that loyalty doesn't apparently is no longer a concern.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Yes, if you pay full retail price for your phone, or if you get a phone from somewhere like ebay or swappa (anywhere that doesn't require you to sign a new two-year contract for a subsidized phone), you can retain your unlimited data (at least for now).

0 Likes
boxermansr
Novice

Unfortunately, the only way to keep unlimited data is to pay retail for the device. While I agree that stinks, Verizon did announce it quite some time ago (again, I still think it stinks, and I agree that loyalty doesn't mean much, but I guess in the end, it is what it is, and nothing we say, or do is going to make a difference anyhow). I've already purchased devices at retail, and turned around and sold my old device, to pay that money towards the new device, again, while it stinks to have to go that route, I guess it's the price we pay for having a network that works (at least for me, having had Sprint who was awful everywhere, and AT&T, that was OK, but not always very reliable in the places I often "go").

0 Likes
SydneyK

I just decided this week that I'm going to use my available upgrade if I find a device that interests me. Like you, I don't even come close to 2GB per month, so it's no longer worth it for me to pay full price. No one knows how long existing customers can keep unlimited data anyway. 

livefreeordie

verizon is all about  >>comment removed<<  and taking their money, they don't care about you just them selfs. We all can do something about it by going to another company.

>> Edited to comply with the <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
a-Stockholder

Suggest you look at some of the other comment forums about data use after change of phone. Many customers have experienced a spike in use "because the new phones have better graphics and can process more data." If you are using 2 now post change could be over limit.

The carrier that wins market share from Verizon will be the one that provides  unlimited voice and data. Last thing I want is to get annoying messages that I am about to exceed my data allocation (which really is just telling me to get ready to pay $10 per gig on overage).

0 Likes